Diagnosed at 30, it gets better

siren6214

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working 17-hour days, being told I can't do something, bigots.
I was diagnosed about a month ago by a Dr. who treated me like just another statistic -- she gave me bad information, and a prescription and sent on my way. I was full of regret, guilt, and hopelessness. Thanks to this forum, I am my old self. Optimistic, educated, and taking this new development in stride knowing that a low-carb lifestyle is actually something I should have changed to at 30 had I not been diagnosed in the first place. In honor of Diabetes Awareness month I wrote this personal blog about coming to terms with my sweet sweet blood, mostly because I want family members and friends to be educated too. I'm putting it out there for others like me who are finding it hard to carry on upon receiving the diagnosis:
https://mermaidtailsblog.wordpress.com/nautilus/

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed about a month ago by a Dr. who treated me like just another statistic -- she gave me bad information, and a prescription and sent on my way. I was full of regret, guilt, and hopelessness. Thanks to this forum, I am my old self. Optimistic, educated, and taking this new development in stride knowing that a low-carb lifestyle is actually something I should have changed to at 30 had I not been diagnosed in the first place. In honor of Diabetes Awareness month I wrote this personal blog about coming to terms with my sweet sweet blood, mostly because I want family members and friends to be educated too. I'm putting it out there for others like me who are finding it hard to carry on upon receiving the diagnosis:
https://mermaidtailsblog.wordpress.com/nautilus/

I enjoyed that,
Yes it is a battle to go against the tide of poor information and like you, luckily I found this site for its great advice.

My blog called 'a reactionary' is my first blog in the links below, please read, it tells of my battle for diagnosis. Enjoy

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good on you for laying it out there. A great read which Im sure many of us here can relate to. It can definately be more expensive and time consuming to do it the low carb healthy way but the benefits are priceless.

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
Better to consult a real "diabetologist". Becoming diabetic is not the end of the world. It's however a life changer because if you are really dead serious in controlling your diabetes, you will have to do some major lifestyle change.

Reactions: 2 people