Ketchup on LCHF

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
So I finally decided to give it a go... after taking about 2 months to read everything I could find! I still don't feel I know everything but I know where to start I think.
But... I got a question!

Where do we stand on ketchup?! Can anybody recommend one that we can eat? I know they quiet high in carbs.... reduced sugar one perhaps? I am addicted :/ I put ketchup (not much!) on almost everything.... eggs, meat, some veg.... I even eat it on its own.... addiction level master.

Anybody any recommendations?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the nutrition info on the bottle.
It will say how many carbs per 100g.
(just look at the carbs, not the sugars, because all of them will end up as blood glucose in the end)

so if (like the bottle in my cupboard) it says 22g carbs per 100g then that means that a little over 1/5th of the bottle is carbs.

Then you get to decide how much you want to eat.

I've no idea how much you get through, but it might be worth working it out carefully for a few days, just to give you an idea.

How many carb grammes are you thinking of eating a day?

Reactions: 2 people

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used this keto calculator that calculates your daily metabolic rates and the % fat in your body and all stuff for you and it came up with 25-30g of carbs. After that I could adjust how many proteins I wanted so I went for 120g and at the end I got to choose how many calories and I went for 1800 becouse I been eating this for while now and I was left with
25g carbs
120g protein
135g fats

So I guess I have to cut on my ketchup obsession. The one I have at home atm (almost empty) is 25g per 100g. So if I ate 100g that would be my carbs for whole day. I probably eat about... 50g of ketchup a day? I never measured.
I'm only after getting up and I had scrambled eggs with onion and black tea. 3 eggs, 60g onion and 10g oil. Already 7g of carbs according to My fitness pal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are well on top of things! :)

If it is any consolation, after a period of agjustment (which may or may not involve carb flu and/or ketchup withdrawal ;) ) you will find that your taste buds adjust amazingly.

I no longer enjoy a lot of foods that I used to love, and that includes milk choc, white bread and even tomato ketchup. They all either taste revoltingly sweet, or pappy and tasteless.

Good luck with it all. :)

Reactions: 3 people

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two months of research :p plenty of headaches.
thank you :)

Hopefully I will get away from my ketchup obsession. I may start cutting down day by day.

Could you, please, tell me. Have you lost any weight on this?

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh...ketchup. I have tried the Heinz Reduced Sugar one above and it is pretty good.

Pinterest has some homemade versions of SF ketchup that you can make yourself. I haven't tried one yet, but I am tempted.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two months of research :p plenty of headaches.
thank you :)

Hopefully I will get away from my ketchup obsession. I may start cutting down day by day.

Could you, please, tell me. Have you lost any weight on this?

Have I lost weight?
Yup.

I'm a special little snowflake with a couple of hormone weirdnesses that make losing weight particularly challenging, and even I have managed to lose nearly 2 stone in 2 years, while stuffing my face with LC extravagances.

Normal people lose weight fairly easily.

The ones who seem to lose weight more slowly on LC are the ones with a lot of insulin resistance, a lot of hormone and/or stress stuff going on, and sleep deprivation issues (that list is taken from an article by Jason Fung, and gives reasons why sometimes the difficult cases sometimes need to add in fasting too.

But don't cross that bridge unless you need to.
Just get settled into LC and see how it works for you. :)

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have I lost weight?
Yup.

I'm a special little snowflake with a couple of hormone weirdnesses that make losing weight particularly challenging, and even I have managed to lose nearly 2 stone in 2 years, while stuffing my face with LC extravagances.

Normal people lose weight fairly easily.

The ones who seem to lose weight more slowly on LC are the ones with a lot of insulin resistance, a lot of hormone and/or stress stuff going on, and sleep deprivation issues (that list is taken from an article by Jason Fung, and gives reasons why sometimes the difficult cases sometimes need to add in fasting too.

But don't cross that bridge unless you need to.
Just get settled into LC and see how it works for you. :)
Well done on weight loss. Thumbs up.
One thing you can say about me is I am not normal. I don't know anything about my insuline resistance but I have PCOS and, if you haven't seen my other posts, I have tachycardia and I suffer from quiet ****** neurological condition called idiopathic intracranial hypertension. So hormonal, stress and pain all here every day. I managed to lose a stone so far in last 4-5 months eating... well not much tbh.
I will give this a go, but I can't afford to put on any more weight as I stand on 20stons and 5ft9'

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on weight loss. Thumbs up.
One thing you can say about me is I am not normal. I don't know anything about my insuline resistance but I have PCOS and, if you haven't seen my other posts, I have tachycardia and I suffer from quiet ****** neurological condition called idiopathic intracranial hypertension. So hormonal, stress and pain all here every day. I managed to lose a stone so far in last 4-5 months eating... well not much tbh.
I will give this a go, but I can't afford to put on any more weight as I stand on 20stons and 5ft9'

Congratulations, a stone in 4-5 months is great, in those circumstances. And don't let anyone tell you differently.

You may find yourself in a similar situation to myself with LC - the weight does go, gently, and slowly. Just don't have any unrealistic expectations of shedding tonnes in a couple of weeks. This is real life. ;)

Over the last 2 years the things that have slowed or halted my (very slow) loss have been inactivity and eating too much protein - so avoid those, if you can. I also went through a period of about 6 months of severe, ongoing, grinding work stress. That screwed up everything.

The things that seem to have helped include drinking masses and masses (I would say a minimum of 1 litre for every 5 stone of weight, and no, I am not joking), getting those carbs down to below 20 g a day, and sleeping well. Obviously, not all of those are under my control.

You may also find that your body tolerates carbs better or worse at different times of day. I can cope better in the evenings, and terribly in the mornings. worth finding out if that would help you too.

:)

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Already drinking buckets of water... I say I drink about 7-8L a day. I am just constantly thirsty.
I do exercise quite a lot. Wel comparing to what it used to be. Swimming everyday for 2h. Plus aquafit class every Thursday. And walks 30 mins a day.
I don't work and done with college so that stress is out :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and any chance you may be Vit D deficient? That can halt weight loss too.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, and any chance you may be Vit D deficient? That can halt weight loss too.
I am getting some blood work done on Wednesday so I will make sure they include that too :)
They should anyway with all the sweating I do !

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tomato ketchup.. I asked a very well known American doctor about it in relation to sugar and he said the more of these things we can eradicate, the better, basically. I found that as I ate less, my tastebuds became more sensitive and I just didn't want sugary, salty things.

How about aiming to cut down to one teaspoon per meal and switching to a reduced sugar ketchup ? The other thing you can do, is look in stores for high fat mayonnaises which are low in carbs. You may be able to find flavoured ones too eg garlic and peri-peri.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I absolutely hate mayo... can't stand the texture of it... it's so thick and bleh.....

I will cut down on the ketchup in time