Type 2 Sudden rise in BG

bakedalaska

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG has suddenly jumped from the 4.9 - 6.2 range to 5.5 - 7.8. Nothing else has changed - same diet and exercise regime. Also my meter gives sometimes widely different readings using different fingers/hands. I am wondering is there is a meter problem. Can something sweet on a finger tip cause a false high? I reintroduced alcohol to my diet in September. Unusually, I had one or two heavy sessions last week - but no alcohol last night and it is today I am getting really out of whack readings.

I have previously posted how alcohol can be effective in reducing morning FBG - it does! But I am now wondering if this comes with a cost.

Any one any thoughts?

T2 65M
Diagnosed 4/8/15 HbIAC 7.3
Glucophage for 1 month
Diet reduced weight from 197 KG - 85KG
Came off meds
3 x 1 hour heavy swimming + light exercise
No Carb diet
4/11/15 HbIAC 6.0

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could possibly be an erroneous reading

I had one wayout reading a couple of weeks ago

Instead of the usual 5-9 reading I get, it suddenly read 21. I started to panic then realised I had been eating grapes and tested without washing my hands. Upon washing my hands the reading was 8. The problem was the grape juice on my fingers had contaminated the blood sample throwing it high. Now I always ensure I wash and dry my hands before testing,

Some people advocate discarding the first drop and testing the second. Other people advocate not squeeezing the finger to obtain a sample as this can contaminate the sample with tissue fluid which will result in a lower reading

Along the same lines some people advocate always using a new lancet each time you take a reading.

The moral of the story is make sure your hands are clean before testing

As for the effects of wine I cannot comment having been tea total all my life

Regards

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hopefully it's a one off find taking two readings from the same finger can vastly change

bakedalaska

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Th
It could possibly be an erroneous reading

I had one wayout reading a couple of weeks ago

Instead of the usual 5-9 reading I get, it suddenly read 21. I started to panic then realised I had been eating grapes and tested without washing my hands. Upon washing my hands the reading was 8. The problem was the grape juice on my fingers had contaminated the blood sample throwing it high. Now I always ensure I wash and dry my hands before testing,

Some people advocate discarding the first drop and testing the second. Other people advocate not squeeezing the finger to obtain a sample as this can contaminate the sample with tissue fluid which will result in a lower reading

Along the same lines some people advocate always using a new lancet each time you take a reading.

The moral of the story is make sure your hands are clean before testing

As for the effects of wine I cannot comment having been tea total all my life

Regards
Thanks - some good solid advice here. Appreciated

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could also be the booze , I had limited my intake, but relaxed it a bit toward the end of the summer and my numbers went up :(, back down now :) but I also started taking more exercise and stricter diet (lchf) so hard to tell if it would of dropped just booting the booze into touch.....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG has suddenly jumped from the 4.9 - 6.2 range to 5.5 - 7.8. Nothing else has changed - same diet and exercise regime. Also my meter gives sometimes widely different readings using different fingers/hands. I am wondering is there is a meter problem. Can something sweet on a finger tip cause a false high? I reintroduced alcohol to my diet in September. Unusually, I had one or two heavy sessions last week - but no alcohol last night and it is today I am getting really out of whack readings.

I have previously posted how alcohol can be effective in reducing morning FBG - it does! But I am now wondering if this comes with a cost.

Any one any thoughts?

T2 65M
Diagnosed 4/8/15 HbIAC 7.3
Glucophage for 1 month
Diet reduced weight from 197 KG - 85KG
Came off meds
3 x 1 hour heavy swimming + light exercise
No Carb diet
4/11/15 HbIAC 6.0

It could be anything making your numbers vary a bit at the moment, including starting a new tub of strips - particularly if the new tub is from a different batch.

If your numbers remain elevated for over a week, try 3 or 4 days on a strict (reduced) carb, no alcohol diet and see what happens to the numbers. Sadly, carb-creep can happen when we least expect it, with the only signs being the upward creep in the old blood numbers.

(In saying that, I'm assuming you are otherwise well and not in a hangover state from sessions last week.)

Just because I'm a pedant, looking at your stats above, it seems you lost 112kg?, to become less than half your starting weight? Was there perhaps a stammer on the 1 key? I'm not deriding a 12kg weight loss, just I would be aghast if it was 112kg, without strict medical supervision.

bakedalaska

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A
It could be anything making your numbers vary a bit at the moment, including starting a new tub of strips - particularly if the new tub is from a different batch.

If your numbers remain elevated for over a week, try 3 or 4 days on a strict (reduced) carb, no alcohol diet and see what happens to the numbers. Sadly, carb-creep can happen when we least expect it, with the only signs being the upward creep in the old blood numbers.

(In saying that, I'm assuming you are otherwise well and not in a hangover state from sessions last week.)

Just because I'm a pedant, looking at your stats above, it seems you lost 112kg?, to become less than half your starting weight? Was there perhaps a stammer on the 1 key? I'm not deriding a 12kg weight loss, just I would be aghast if it was 112kg, without strict medical supervision.
And Breathe, you made me laugh. Yes it was a stammer on the "1". Otherwise good advice. Thank you.

bakedalaska

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could also be the booze , I had limited my intake, but relaxed it a bit toward the end of the summer and my numbers went up :(, back down now :) but I also started taking more exercise and stricter diet (lchf) so hard to tell if it would of dropped just booting the booze into touch.....
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am back down to lower figures at the moment. I am thinking that two unusually heavy sessions with accompanying hangovers last week threw things out of whack. Such partying is now very unusual for me at 65 - so I am not too worried. But the BG levelling is a very tricky and delicate bit of metabolism for sure!