Booze?

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby is asking what is safe for him, as a type 2 diet controlled, to have one small glass of at nights to help him de-stress and sleep? Also for christmas dinner. Thanks!

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that a glass of red wine in the evening can actually lower my fbg the following morning. I do track the calories though to make sure I don't go over my target for the day :angelic:

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I find that a glass of red wine in the evening can actually lower my fbg the following morning. I do track the calories though to make sure I don't go over my target for the day :angelic:
Think you will go over your calorie limit if the size of that glass is anything to go on. lol

Reactions: 8 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I washed down my Metformin this evening with the Red Wine I was drinking at the time.

I don't see what difference having Diabetes has with regard to alcohol consumption.

A sensible approach to the amount consumed should be followed by everyone, not just diabetics.

S

Sean01

Hubby is asking what is safe for him, as a type 2 diet controlled, to have one small glass of at nights to help him de-stress and sleep? Also for christmas dinner. Thanks!
Single malt whisky - apparently very little effect on BG. I am reminded of a quote by WC Fields. In case of snake bite always carry whisky and come to think of it, always carry a snake!

Reactions: 10 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
He used to like a wee glass of Port, would that be ok for him? And thanks!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I washed down my Metformin this evening with the Red Wine I was drinking at the time.

I don't see what difference having Diabetes has with regard to alcohol consumption.

A sensible approach to the amount consumed should be followed by everyone, not just diabetics.

It's not just about the amount. From my own personal experience - wine lowers my blood sugar dramatically, so OK to drink in conjunction with carbs of some description. Spirits also lower my blood sugars but not so rapidly. Beer on the other hand seems to raise my blood sugars at least in the short to medium term.

The problem may have greater importance for those of us that are insulin dependant, but as is often stressed on these forums, we are all different and you need to find out how it affects you personally.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

On occasion it won't hurt at all...
Possibly be a little bit careful with regular port, though - it's fortified with sugar as well as booze...

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beer Bad Port Bad, Wine (dry) is good, Spirits best (with diet mixer) :)

That is the basic rule but everyone is different , beer is liquid carbs, so not usually good , also when drinking its best to have some carbs as the alcohol tends to lower BS's...................:)

If you have to have beer Holsten pils is very low carb, so best of the worst

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/alcohol-and-blood-sugar.html

S

Sean01

I'm going to go with the whisky and the snake. (But seriously, port possibly a bit sweet and made from grapes.) The best thing about whisky is that there is a taste for everybody. Glenmorangie does a port finished whisky - i.e. matured in oak and then finished off in port pipes) als Dalmore. You could always try Royal Lochnagar Select Reserve (this is pricier than the normal stuff but worth it - like drinking liquid mince pies but you have to know how to get your nose and taste buds working together - look for Robert Paterson on Youtube - it looks mad but it's real!! Other lighter whiskies made in light oak barrels will have vanilla flavours - like licking a bowl after mixing a cake. Other flavours include orange, pear, hints of chocolate, liquorice and so on - go for single malts, the older the better and smoother and if you ever come across Caol Ila cask strength, you will know why I have a glint in my eye. It's a journey - good luck, oh and one last thing - if you ever have the chance to compete in the LochNess Marathon, then a couple of large Jura's the day before will do wonders for you. It worked for me - but I was never going to win!

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alcohol is fine.
Subject to the usual constraints over your liver, and the empty calories in it.

Beer is very variable, some I can drink, some raise my BG, then again, the stronger ones brew out more carbs in the beer, so a stronger, more bitter ale or lager is better to me.

Red wine, unless it's sweet, as often it's sweetened after fermentation.
Same with white.
Same with fortified wines.

Spirits have often added sugars, but then again, the alcohol delays the way you process then, so less of a spike. And if you get a mixer, it's better to get the bottle, then you know it is really the diet version.

But, a good rule is if it tastes sweet, it probably is sweet, and will be raising your BG.

The best way is to drink it, and test later.