“Newbie” update!

LTGx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a general update as it’s been around 2 weeks (?) and a lot has changed. I posted a “newbie” with a new diagnosis, likely type 2 but querying type 1 and if I was being a wuss on the metformin. Thank you for your replies! It really helped.

Shortly after I made that post I took a turn. I ended up very poorly in hospital with a huge clot in my leg, had the ambulance out and everything. I also have clots in my lungs and a hole in my heart! I obviously explained to the hospital about my new diagnosis and they weren’t happy with the “type 2 diagnosis” and so did all my GAD marker as well as loads of other tests and I’m type 1.5, so have LADA diabetes. They also did a million other tests and kept me in hospital for nearly a week because of the the clots. They also did full CT scans and everything to make sure none of my new ailments were linked. Apparently they’re not, I’m just terribly unlucky! The clots were caused by a contraceptive pill and the hole in my heart has likely been there since birth but has only gotten worse/more noticeable due to recent stresses and the fact they were testing me for absolutely everything.

Not quite the way I wanted to get the answers about my diabetes but at least it’s diagnosed. I have a glucose meter and a keytone meter, I’m still on metformin for now but I will be moving to insulin soon. I’m on bedrest for the next few weeks/months until the clots clear and I’m on a load of medication for that now too. It’s been a big scary nightmare but at least I’m in the right track to getting back to feeling like myself again!

Thanks again for all your advice on my last post. I appreciate it. I’m not sure who, if anyone, is going to read this but I just wanted to leave a little update. No doubt I’ll be back looking for information about LADA and things.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a general update as it’s been around 2 weeks (?) and a lot has changed. I posted a “newbie” with a new diagnosis, likely type 2 but querying type 1 and if I was being a wuss on the metformin. Thank you for your replies! It really helped.

Shortly after I made that post I took a turn. I ended up very poorly in hospital with a huge clot in my leg, had the ambulance out and everything. I also have clots in my lungs and a hole in my heart! I obviously explained to the hospital about my new diagnosis and they weren’t happy with the “type 2 diagnosis” and so did all my GAD marker as well as loads of other tests and I’m type 1.5, so have LADA diabetes. They also did a million other tests and kept me in hospital for nearly a week because of the the clots. They also did full CT scans and everything to make sure none of my new ailments were linked. Apparently they’re not, I’m just terribly unlucky! The clots were caused by a contraceptive pill and the hole in my heart has likely been there since birth but has only gotten worse/more noticeable due to recent stresses and the fact they were testing me for absolutely everything.

Not quite the way I wanted to get the answers about my diabetes but at least it’s diagnosed. I have a glucose meter and a keytone meter, I’m still on metformin for now but I will be moving to insulin soon. I’m on bedrest for the next few weeks/months until the clots clear and I’m on a load of medication for that now too. It’s been a big scary nightmare but at least I’m in the right track to getting back to feeling like myself again!

Thanks again for all your advice on my last post. I appreciate it. I’m not sure who, if anyone, is going to read this but I just wanted to leave a little update. No doubt I’ll be back looking for information about LADA and things.
I don't know anything about LADA, so I won't be any help there. But I'm glad you got to the hospital in time with the clots and everything that was going awry, and it is a bit of a double edged sword and all... It's a lot to deal with, but you got your diabetes answer a lot quicker than through conventional paths, I'd guess. Take care of yourself, and I hope you'll be up and about again soon!
Hugs,
Jo
PS: Who never thought you were a wuss about anything.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LTGx, wow, what an introduction and you still sound quite positive. Thanks so much for coming back to us and please, when you settle down ask ANY questions you want. As always the advice on your previous post (when you were querying type 1 or 2) from @JoKalsbeek was spot on and just goes to show you can't always rely on Drs to know everything and taking them at their word can be dangerous!!!! xx