1.5 or 2 - does it matter?

pippaandben

I was first diagnosed April 2011 - no symptoms but part of general blood tests for intermittent leg numbness/pins and needles.

Started on 1x500mg Metformin and testing bloods. Rapidly went up tp 2 x 500mg, 3x 500mg 4 x 500mg, added 1 diamicron - then 2, then 3, then 4, all in a 16 month timespan. Each time blood sugar levels started to reduce after about 10 days and then improve for 6-8 weeks but then rise again. Then really thirsty and started getting more and more readings in high teens, 20s and occasional low 30s at the end of a two month touring caravan holiday and found I had lost almost a stone in weight over the summer months.

Immediately when home had to record levels 8 times a day and ketone test for 7 days - phoning in levels every day and then put on insulin mix. HbA1c was 101. After 3 months down to 71 and went onto MDI. 3 months later last week down to 48.

It was suggested by nurse that seems as if I'm really type 1.5 rather than a type 2 due to rapid progression. If this is the case would it make any difference to treatment or any other medical treatment I might need in the future and should I insist on the tests needed for a true diagnosis. I am 68 year old female with 25.2 BMI. I must say that for the first time in 2 years I now feel as if I am in control and apart from a couple of explainable hypos feel in perfect health.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does matter what you are are officially diagnosd. some may say not as long as your meds work and under control. However some people type 2 unfortunately are not given sufficient strips, monitor or opportunity to see a consultant. Also, the advice you are given will be different than given to a type 2. Also erik matter to dvla, insurance if you drive. 1 more thing is most type 2s would not qualify to receive an insulin pump, should all else fail to get good control.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could make a difference. I'm guarding the documentation from my doctor saying that I have T1; just in case I return to the UK.
I know of a woman who is a member here but tends to post elsewhere who has spent a long time pushing for tests.
There are separate guidelines in the UK for T1 and T2. At the moment T2s aren't eligible for a DAFNE course. In the future, you may want to consider an insulin pump. There are formal criteria for T1s and it seems to be getting a bit easier to get one . Much more difficult if you are officially T2 ( I've read of a couple but I think it's very rare).
Also, who knows what other treatments/aids will be available in ten years time?

elaine77

Hi,

I would definitely ask for the blood tests for a correct diagnosis if I was you. The postcode lottery in the UK is not helpful and, as the guys have said earlier, t1 and t2 often do get treated differently. Also, My own consultant insists on correct diagnosis for research reasons... They are constantly researching diabetes, especially type 1.5 so if you are categorised as type 2 it will skew any research results they are monitoring :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree in particular with elaine77 with regard to research. NICE already knows that there is a lot of mis-recording of diagnosis and many in the NHS think that there are only two distinct types i.e. 1 and 2. This skews research results. If only DUK would stop asking for more funds for research rather than campaigning for better diagnosis so we all know who has what. Although there is the GAD anti-body test, it only looks for the more common anti-body and doesn't screen for the less common anti-bodies. I fall into the 20% of T2s who aren't really T2 i.e. never overweight, don't respond to tablets well etc but because I was classed as T2 due to my age and NHS lack of knowledge I had to fight for my insulin which I should have been on 2 years ago. Once you are classed as T2 you are just stuffed with tablets and told to lose more weight when you are already underweight. Your age 68 is interesting; same as me. I was 59 at diagnosis and I think there is still an opinion that LADA only occurs at a much younger age and that the pancreas degrades very fast. I suspect the age aspect is not true but without correct diagnosis, the researchers will never know. I also suspect the speed of degradation also varies quite a bit once diagnosed. BTW, sounds like you have a good DN.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1.5 is similar to lada latent auto immune disorder in adults. Simply put slow onset type 1 where insulin producing cells deteriorate over time, eventually leading to type 1. Onset speed depends on the individual and can last from months to years.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Nik442

How many on here have heard their GP mention type 1.5 - very few I suspect? If you're not type 1then you're chucked in the type 2 category. Does it matter - yes, I think it does.

Nik

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Officially my records show im a type 2

My 2 dsn's insist im type 1
My consultant says im probably type 2 but wont rule out type 1

I had many blood tests etc, and none were conclusive, again some of my syptoms more suggested type one, some type 2
The main reason for a diagnosis of type 2 at the moment seems to be a lack of keytones.

So i dont really know what i am... However im in the new forest, have access to a consultant, i have 2 dsn's and all the test strips i need

It was even suggested yesterday by my DSN that i would be a good candidate for a constant glucose monitor system.

So it does seem a bit of a postcode lottery treatment wise, and im sure i could get my dsn to list me as a T1 if i needed to