1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1 month in, and left to my own devices!

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Mrs HJG, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Outlier

Outlier · Well-Known Member

Lavender or Tea tree oil is very useful too. I qualified as an aromatherapist back in the day, and I always have Lavender and Tea tree oil in the house. if you take this route, buy the good stuff not cheapo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

@Mrs HJG, thanks very much. Even GPs, usually so reckless with prescription drugs, are hesitant to prescribe anti-fungals.

3. Alexandra100

@Outlier I saw a recommendation for Vic ointment and am currently using it. Vic has the advantage of being cheap as chips. Maybe in this context I should say, "Cheap as pork scratchings" or "Cheap as cauliflower rice"? I do rather like the nostalgic smell.

4. Outlier

Vick is brilliant for so many conditions. It's another of my medicine cabinet staples. I'm currently using it on my chilblains.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alexandra100

@Outlier, great idea!

6. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Outlier Am interested in this as I have chilblains. Do you use vic when the skin is broken, and how long does it take to help?

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Outlier

Like diabetes, it takes different times for different people, depending on age, immune system, how bad someone has let them get, how well they are protecting their feet/hands day by day (thick woolly socks on one end, ditto gloves on the other). For me, a temporary stop in taking hot baths, and twice-daily application of ointment, does the trick in about 4 days, but we are all different. As for can you use it on broken skin - I don't know. I never let mine get to that stage. If I did I would, but that's not to say it's a good or bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alexandra100

I fear it would sting. I get broken skin on my hands from time to time despite all precautions.

9. Sarahlouxoxo

Sarahlouxoxo · Member

I understand that completely, this past week anything new and I’m freaking out thinking it’s something horrendous I’m going to have to deal with, I’m starting to realise that I will still be able to lead a normal life just with a few extra duties but yeah this place is amazing! There’s so much support and info, I haven’t even had to call my diabetic clinic for advice

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook