1 month in, hypos and awareness?

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi everyone, it's been about one month since i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and so far I think I've had a hypo at least once a day. Im guessing this is the honeymoon period and my doses have been lowered and I test a lot to keep on top of it all. However in the last few days Ive decided to test because Im curious or its before a meal etc and had no symptoms and felt fine but had readings of 2.8 or under! am I already losing my hypo awareness after a month? Will it definitely come back if I try to keep my levels a bit high for a week or so?
hope anyone can help!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi everyone, it's been about one month since i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and so far I think I've had a hypo at least once a day. Im guessing this is the honeymoon period and my doses have been lowered and I test a lot to keep on top of it all. However in the last few days Ive decided to test because Im curious or its before a meal etc and had no symptoms and felt fine but had readings of 2.8 or under! am I already losing my hypo awareness after a month? Will it definitely come back if I try to keep my levels a bit high for a week or so?
hope anyone can help!

Hi @LilaE ,

Generally speaking I can start to feel hypo symptoms anywhere below 5ish but like yourself I've now had 2 instances where I felt nothing (lowest at 2.3 on my meter). These were several months apart and I don't think there's any particular reason for it. The rest of the time I am fine and I certainly don't think I've lost my hypo awareness.

But stay on top of the situation and look for trends, don't get too concerned about a single instance, our bodies like to play tricks on us now and then.

There is good info on the main pages of the website and DUK also have a free hypo awareness training program. But also discuss the situation with your medical team if you have too many incidents like this.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/education/hypo-awareness-program.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hypo-unawareness.html

Welcome to the forums and good luck with this.

LilaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you I will check out those sites and hopefully it won happen again!