1 thing your Doctor/Nurse says that annoys you?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Okay firsy sorry if this is in the wrong place very new to these forums :)

Secondly what is 1 thing that your diabetes Doctor/Nurse says to you most times you see them that gets on your nerves?

Mines is that I usually get told "You could be getting better results than his" now I know that may be a small thing but I just want to shout and tell them I'd like to see them do what I do day in and day out and get amazing results every time because it's bloody hard work. I feel lile they're criticising me for trying! They can tell me that I'm not getting good results but I bet they don't have to live with diabetes all day everyday.

Reactions: 4 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a new nurse today as the regular one was off who started out by introducing her student nurse then explaining to her how I was just diagnosed type 2.

I'm type one.

Wasn't in a good mood to start then that made it worse.

She then gives me a carb book and shows me how much spaghetti is ok, I told her it spikes me into the teens and I stay away from bread and pasta as much as possible, she replies no that's not good I need carbs... I gave up listening at that point...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That I need to eat more carbs. Lots more.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I'm sorry, but I am now about impervious to what practice nurses say to me!
If they try to find fault on something, I usually come back with
"That's not what the consultant thinks on that!"or
" Can i have a reference on that? An unsourced quote is trumped by my "N=1 result "" or
"You can go home at night, i have to live with the risk of neuropathy/nephropathy/sight loss/etc!"
The constant ignorance does get a bit wearing though.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It usually starts with walking through the surgery door. Normally ends with walking out the surgery door.:depressed:

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, at my diabetes clinic appointment last week, usually Mr T says something that I don't agree with or don't like, but this time he was so thoughtful and caring :D so a great appointment :happy:

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors 9am today. DN at 1 pm. Could today be different ?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dietician: fasting level of 8mmol/l is very good! (that's her trying to convince me to get higher a1c)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The practice nurse at my local surgery has the plague as far as I am concerned. I avoid as if she does have it :) Doesn't want to know about pumps just wants to tick a box as to how much insulin I use per day. Oh an my A1c is far to low. Haven't seen her for about 7 years and always out of the country when a review is due. (pardon sarcasm)

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Too many really but they include
1) “You just need to shift your results by a couple of mmol”. Really if it was that easy I would have done it by now. I’m not doing this deliberately you know.
2) “I’ve been doing this job for xxxx amount of years now”. I’ve been living with this for nearly 32 years now what’s your point?
3) “No that shouldn’t happen”…well it does I’m not making this up you know.
4) “I understand what you must be feeling like”. No you’re not nor ever have been a Type 1 diabetic so you don’t.
5) “I’m concerned about your weight. I would like to see you put a couple of kg’s on”. My weight is slap bang in the middle of the correct BMI as per the NHS guidelines. You only think I am underweight because everyone else that comes in here is a bucket of lard so you think I am the one with the problems. I’m fine thanks. In fact I’m more concerned about yours as you really could do with shifting a bit.
6) “You should make sure that you inject into fat”. As per statement 5) I don’t have much fat, I’m really doing the best I can to rotate sites and not get lumps. However I have injected myself somewhere North of 6 figures so this becomes difficult.
This is just a selection of some on the things that can irritate me. However bless their little cotton socks, they really do give me valuable help so I try and ignore these and I do appreciate the times they have given me excellent guidance and pushed me in the right direction when I have been having problems. I am certainly not pretending that I always have the best attitude when I go and see them and most of the time the do a good job.

Reactions: 14 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
My doctor has completely given up on convincing me to eat carbs, largely due to my last 2 results of 5% HBA1C's . My first few appointments, after diagnosis, I was constantly told that I would be on insulin injections for the rest of my life or I'd go blind etc etc , this was a bit annoying and didn't really need reminding. Probably a good shock tactic if you're in denial though.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know my Doctor tells me these things for my own benefit but sometimes I just think I know what works best for me and I am trying can't they just praise me for that instead. Next appointment on the 18th lets hope it goes better than the rest! :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I was constantly told that I would be on insulin injections for the rest of my life or I'd go blind etc etc , this was a bit annoying and didn't really need reminding. .
My retort would probably be "But don't they say that about masturbation?":eek:

Reactions: 12 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diabetes consultant always says "Good luck" to me when I leave the room which makes me think he knows something dreadful is about to happen to me, I imagine the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse or the Grim Reaper waiting for me in the clinic reception.

Reactions: 10 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
5) “I’m concerned about your weight. I would like to see you put a couple of kg’s on”. My weight is slap bang in the middle of the correct BMI as per the NHS guidelines. You only think I am underweight because everyone else that comes in here is a bucket of lard so you think I am the one with the problems. I’m fine thanks. In fact I’m more concerned about yours as you really could do with shifting a bit.
This attitude bugs the hell out of me. I find it frustrating in reverse though, when you get the "Your BMI is too high, you need to lose weight". Do I look like I need to lose weight? I have a low body fat percentage, and my waist is well below the size they reckon is an issue. Go away!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors 9am today. DN at 1 pm. Could today be different ?
Different doc today so sort of ok I think ?.cholesterol is slightly high but he has not prescribed anything. No doubt nusey will have a moan about this at the diabetes clinic this afternoon. Feel that tennis ball feeling coming on. :(

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Dr once told me to ' get a hobby ' this was when I had so much retained fluid on my legs I could barley walk ... No meds .. No advice only told to get a hobby ... I don't go to the Drs any more

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dietician: fasting level of 8mmol/l is very good! (that's her trying to convince me to get higher a1c)
if most of your numbers and basal is ok..if you think it looks like a DP/liver dump...metformin might help?

I don't have a nurse and see a dr each time, but the dietitian said. low carb was ok, and I had to go low fat and low salt
seems that protein was limited too...so I gave up because it left a couple of chops with the fat cut off and a tin of sardines in water a day