1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1 week in the pump!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by JimC, Oct 12, 2016.

1. JimC

JimC Type 1 · Active Member

Hi all,
    It's been a week on the pump and things are good with the exception of last night and today!

Most of yesterday evening my bg would be 11 and throughout the night went up to 14. I had correction dose but didn't seem to bring it down!

I thought it may have been the cannula so changed that and the site and now it's hovering around 11 most of today!

Have a new giving set done today as had to change the cartridge so see how it goes today!

• Like Like x 1
  2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It just sounds as if you need to do some basal testing and set your pump up correctly.

3. JimC

Well I have the pump clinic Monday! Just weird things were going great then 1 blip last night and today! I have some fasting tests to do this week before I go Monday!

4. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

could you be coming down with an infection or cold?

5. JimC

I don't feel cold or ill! Bit a possibility!

6. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

It will take a while of bg testing and trial and error before basal rates can be adjusted to achieve some degree of stability but basal rates sometimes need to be adjusted again according to bodyweight changing, the weather temps getting hotter or colder or because diabetes is being a PITA. You get used to it or go bonkers with frustration

7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As a general rule everyone seems to have a good first week then things go t*ts up which means start your basal testing and adjusting your basal rates.

8. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @JimC - hope things improve. Maybe just teething probs. Which pump are you on?

9. JimC

Hi sorry for the late reply, I'm on the accu-chek insight, did some fasting tests ready for today's clinic and they have adjusted my basal rate slightly and my units per carbs! See how it goes now as was running only slightly high from my blip the other day!

10. redtree92

redtree92 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

oooh strange !! Let us know how the clinic went, i am looking to get a pump, so all the little learning curves are interesting to know :)

hope you get them level!

x

11. JimC

Hi,
    The clinic went well, have changed basal rate as said in previous comment! They say after a week or 2 you get a bit of resistance which is common but things seem better! Have some random fasting tests to do and other tests!

Been looking at using the multiwave function but haven't got the balls to do it yet as still have my pump L plates lol

They covered using temporary basal as well but I'm worried if I play with anything like that I'm gonna bigger it all right up!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook