11 yr old

Sterling80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son aged 11 has been diagnosed t1 just 3 weeks ago.
It's an eye opener.
All the help is out there our hospital staff are brilliant checking with us 3 times a week,always there on hand.
It's time consuming and hard to see in a child .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @Sterling80

I'm so sorry your child has this diagnosis but I have to say that I don't regret getting T1 as a child of 8 rather than an adult. Children generally get good medical care and I feel it's easier to adjust when you are still young. (I had carbohydrate lists memorised very soon after my diagnosis ).

T1 hasn't stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do (makes a few things more inconvenient) and though I've given up on a "cure" for myself the treatment for young T1s improves all the time and is light years ahead of what it was like when I was diagnosed.

It should get easier as you get used to it.

Lots of virtual hugs for you and your child.

Once more welcome.

Oslo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Bigots, Meat
My son aged 11 has been diagnosed t1 just 3 weeks ago.
It's an eye opener.
All the help is out there our hospital staff are brilliant checking with us 3 times a week,always there on hand.
It's time consuming and hard to see in a child .
Really sorry to hear of your child’s diagnosis and, as a parent, I can only imagine how you must be feeling at the moment. it can be a little overwhelming with so much advice coming in from different sources so don’t forget to breath! I agree with EllieM that the progress that’s been made in the management of diabetes has been incredible and would encourage you and your child to embrace all the technology available to help keep tabs on blood sugars and the management of their diabetes. stay in touch with this group as they are an absolute mine of information and support.
Take care

mum789

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 8 year r old has just been diagnosed with type 1. He is handling it like a champ, me not so much.
How do you cope and deal with the diagnosis as a parent?
We will be receiving lots of support from the paediatric diabetes team and have lots of home visits arranged for next week. Which I'm glad of.
But I am really struggling with his diagnosis and I don't know how to help myself. My husband is being great as he's type 1 too. I've told him he's not to leave my side until I feel comfortable.
I'm sorry for this post not making sense, but I just needed to get some of this down.

Thanks I advance for any advice on how to handle this. X