1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

12hr Basal?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by not-so-lucky, Feb 21, 2018.

1. not-so-lucky

not-so-lucky Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you get a long-acting Basal insulin which only covers you for 12 hours instead of 24 (I'm on Tresiba)? The only reason being is I'm dropping quite low during the night and I have my dosages well organised during the day, but having to eat extra supper to keep me 'suspended' up during the night because my overnight levels drop too low (had yet another hypo around 4am the other morning :brb:)

Because I'm doing well during daytime using Novo Rapid I was wondering if anyone can suggest a basal that can cover me overnight? - That way I can separately manage my overnight levels?

Any advice would be gratefully received and thanks in advance - Peace.

2. barrym

barrym LADA · Well-Known Member

levemir ???

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar situation, I don't think there is such a thing as a 12hr basal other then taking a small enough dose that it wears off in 12 hrs.

I don't take anything over night at the moment because I wake up with low levels as it is, even before starting on insulin. Trying to get appt with endo doctor as GP prescribed Levemir. I have stopped using it due to a range of side effects I get with it. GP doesn't know what to do.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook