18/6

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello

If eat and my bloodsugar is after 2 hours good so 7.

How can I have 2 hours later a hypo?

I do fasting 18/6 and do eat carbs. Good carbs. But every day at 16.00 I get low blood sugar 3.6 and it goes away 20 minutes later. Does anybody knows what is happening. My do check my bloodsugar but it is not higher then 7.8 after 2 hours?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I do fasting 18/6 and do eat carbs. Good carbs. But every day at 16.00 I get low blood sugar 3.6 and it goes away 20 minutes later. Does anybody knows what is happening. My do check my bloodsugar but it is not higher then 7.8 after 2 hours?
3.6mmol/l is not necessarily a hypo for a non-diabetic; nor is it a hypo for a diabetic who does not use glucose lowering medication. Do you feel normal at that level?

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Flair To get a better ideal of what is going on, you need to check your BG every 10 minutes for 4 or 5 hrs after you have had a high carb meal. There is a type of diabetes when someone's BG drops very fast some time after a meal making them feel unwell at that point in time.

But what is specal about 16.00? Do you also eat lunch at the same time? Do you get stressed at the same time? What else is going on at the same time? You are looking for a patten covering about 5hr before 16.00.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I suppose a lot of this depends on the timing of your 18/6. If 1600 is 5 hours or more into fasting you may be experiencing the very natural phenomena of running out of sugar. The fact that it goes away after 20 minutes suggests the liver has stepped in to correct matters.

Low blood sugar is not the preserve of the diabetic. High sugars are maybe but anyone can get low sugars.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello

It is all to do with how your endocrine system copes with the food you are eating.
If you produce too little insulin you get high blood glucose levels.
If you produce too much insulin you get low blood glucose levels until your liver kicks in with a glucose dump to correct the imbalance.

With diabetes and hypoglycaemia it is the imbalance that causes the symptoms that we get from whatever foods we digest.
That is why low carb diet works for those with imbalances in our glucose/insulin and other hormonal conditions. Because it restricts the amount of insulin produced.

But if you haven't got diabetes or hypoglycaemia, then the readings you are getting are normal.

Best wishes.