1st diabetic review

Ricku2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first diabetic review yesterday at my Dr's, I had a blood test done so hopefully my sugar level results will come back lower, I also had to do a urine sample which I dropped off at the surgery this morning, all seems well, my Dr wants me to try reversing my T2 with diet first, I'm using an app called food which has helped me lose almost 10kg over a 2 month period, the only thing that was flagged up was when I said I was getting dizzy spells, when my blood pressure was taken it was 98 over 68, this is the lowest I've ever been, I'm now booked in to see my Dr next week, the nurse did say this is a side effect of diabetes, i was wondering if anyone else has been through this and what was done to help, i do my best to keep hydrated throughout the day, any advice would be welcome.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I get high blood pressure not low. But I'm over weight. Is your BMI in good range?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first diabetic review yesterday at my Dr's, I had a blood test done so hopefully my sugar level results will come back lower, I also had to do a urine sample which I dropped off at the surgery this morning, all seems well, my Dr wants me to try reversing my T2 with diet first, I'm using an app called food which has helped me lose almost 10kg over a 2 month period, the only thing that was flagged up was when I said I was getting dizzy spells, when my blood pressure was taken it was 98 over 68, this is the lowest I've ever been, I'm now booked in to see my Dr next week, the nurse did say this is a side effect of diabetes, i was wondering if anyone else has been through this and what was done to help, i do my best to keep hydrated throughout the day, any advice would be welcome.
I believe a little extra salt may help

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Ricku2 Do you take Blood pressure meds, or beta blockers ? It's well known that people taking such meds have to reduce them when they start eating Low Carb , because they start to feel dizzy. At least in those cases this isn't a side effect of diabetes, it's a side effect of a better diet curing High Blood Pressure. Dr David Unwin (one of the most prominent low carb GPs in the UK) himself didn't realise the power for low carb for naturalising Blood Pressure until he found himself nearly fainting when he got up to greet a patient.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on meds for high blood pressure, have been for years. They've kept it under control with no noticeable side effects. Having now started Metformin I am finding my blood pressure can be very low in the mornings, almost to the point I have to slow down until my body catches up. Its noticeably lower on my own BP readings, it will be interesting to see what happens when the GP takes it on my review, as I usually get white coat syndrome at the surgery.

Ricku2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an appointment with my GP today regarding my low blood pressure, i told her that on Monday I had a reading of 95 over 66, she took it and it was 109 over 86, she said it's likely that my body still hasn't adjusted to my 10kg weight loss, on that note she said that my latest sugar levels have dropped from 60m/mol to 46m/mol, this has been done purely with keeping to a low calorie diet with no more than 90g of carbs a day, as suggested by the diabetic nurses on the mydesmond course.

Reactions: Ladynijo

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
95/66 is at the lower end of normal/ healthy.

Doctors often aren't that good at taking them, you are supposed to sit for 5 mins before taking it for example, but often doctors rush it, and its sometimes higher when taken in a less relaxed medical setting. And the first reading is often a bit high for some reason, repeating 3 times and averaging is the gold standard. So the GP reading as a single data point is of low value.

If you are uncomfortable on it, don't sit there worrying, get yourself a home blood pressure meter, they don't cost that much.
For example Boots sell an Omron unit with their name on it for just £21.50:

Read the guidance in the manual, take a reading morning and evening and record. Repeat for a week to get a true picture of your readings and whether you are going low.

Reactions: Ricku2

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I had dizzy spells when I went low carb and was on bp meds. GP took me off them as I no longer need them. Felt much better after.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IME it's much better to take our BP at home. I have very seldom had the correct procedure used either in hospital or at the GP.

Ricku2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
95/66 is at the lower end of normal/ healthy.

Doctors often aren't that good at taking them, you are supposed to sit for 5 mins before taking it for example, but often doctors rush it, and its sometimes higher when taken in a less relaxed medical setting. And the first reading is often a bit high for some reason, repeating 3 times and averaging is the gold standard. So the GP reading as a single data point is of low value.

If you are uncomfortable on it, don't sit there worrying, get yourself a home blood pressure meter, they don't cost that much.
For example Boots sell an Omron unit with their name on it for just £21.50:

Read the guidance in the manual, take a reading morning and evening and record. Repeat for a week to get a true picture of your readings and whether you are going low.
I was at work when I had the 95/66 reading, i work in social care so we have a meter there, my wife has high blood pressure so we have a meter at home too.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
I was at work when I had the 95/66 reading, i work in social care so we have a meter there, my wife has high blood pressure so we have a meter at home too.
OK, then you know how to track this.

If your blood sugars have dropped a lot in a short time, you might also be getting false hypos as a potential cause perhaps.