1st ever diabetic Christmas

joelcam

Hi all,

This Christmas will be first ever as a diabetic. I want my 4 and 5 year old and wife to have a normal Christmas and don't want to limit the usual 75 tins of Roses and 300 tubes of Pringles that she will pile into the 5 tesco trolleys on our big Christmas shop...however...

I think I may have the odd day where I will fancy a few choccies etc....if I do, would it be silly to let me sugars go into double figures every now and then over Xmas, or should I inject a unit every time i fancy something nice? Luckily I don't have this predicament normally as I am not a chocolate fan but at Xmas I do like to indulge...

Any advice appreciated!

JC

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Inject away !!

If you know you're going to be eating chocolates, then inject.
Balance them out with a few nuts, milk steamed almonds.. yum !!

It's once a year, and you have to enjoy it. But that doesn't mean it's a reason to let your sugars go high. Keep them low if you can, while still enjoying what you fancy :)

A more emphasis on the turkey / goose / salmon than the spuds, lots of veg, and it's all good.

Roses are about 60% carbs, so find out how much 5 weighs, then inject as appropriate.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I agree, I tend to graze on Xmas day, don't have a proper brekkie then snack on shrimp, salmon and yummy things as apertisers, with the obvious HUGE turkey for late lunch (one oday of the year I actually try and avoid carbs!) but I do try and plan a bit (ie: I'm going to have a handful of Roses now but no more for at least an hour!) and then you won't have to inject every 5 mins :D I'm sure you'll have some complicated kids presents to lose your temper over by midday anyway, so all thoughts of Roses will be forgotten!! :lol:

enjoy the day, not long to go now...................eek!

joelcam

Not wrong on the kids presents...will try not to lose my temper though...

XBOX 360 this year so kind of looking forward to 'helping' them play with it....

If I did eat a pile of choccies, when would be good to test levels to see if I got the novorapid right? Would it be 2 hrs as with a meal?

JC

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
yes, I would do that as a rule whenever you inject just to keep track of what you are doing every 2-3 hours - also, be careful not to overlap :?

hang on a minute though, do you carb count? or is it guess work?

joelcam

I don't do any carb counting but my breakfast and lunch are always the same so no need to....I do change filling but always have 3 wholemeal bread for lunch and 3 weetabix for brekky..

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm just flapping now as I was giving you advice based on carb counting for chocs etc, if you don't have a carb/insulin ratio that you work to then I'm not sure injecting everytime you eat chocs will work and also, you will be more prone to over lapping :?

can I ask what you inject for your x3 weetabix and x3 bread?

joelcam

Too late....I ate half a tin or Roses last night and did what you said...I am now in hospital in recovery and using my laptop - what a nightmare night I had!!

Only kidding - I take 4 units of Novorapid 4 my 3 Weetabix and Pear which I have every morning.....6 units for lunch which is 3 pieces of wholeam bread and a small apple.

JC

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
well now I just don't know what to suggest :lol:

Just be careful, my nerves can't take this :roll:

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Thre weetabix is 37g, and pears are about 25g.
So you're running at about 1u to 15g carb for breakfast.
Wholemeal bread is about 13g/slice, and apples between 18g and 30g of carbs. Say 20g for ease.
You're running on about 1u/10g of carbs for lunch.
If Xmas dinner is very high in fat, you might want to add another dose after an hour. I always have to. My MIL cooks the most gorgeos food, with no regard for arteries :D
Fat slows down the absorption, so anything high in fat will take longer for the sugar to get into your system.

I'd suggest using a ratio of 10/1 for dinner, and see how that gets you. Do you know how long your fast acting lasts with you?
As a matter of interest, what do you do for tea? Do yo have different doses worked out for your favourite things, or do you inject a set amount?

I eat a huge variety of stuff, especally at lunch. I like to get my daughter interested in different foods, don't want her ending up like my cousin, he'll only eat about 4 foods, as well as toast.
Breakfast is usually a muesli cereal, eggs, or pancakes.

joelcam

Tea is usually 6 or 7 units. again all guess work to begin with but now I know what I need unless I am eating something for the 1st time...luckily we are not too adventurous in the kitchen and usually have the foods each week...that's kinda sad thinking about it - I might have a word with the missus!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
or you could cook something new yourself?! just an idea :lol: :lol: :wink:

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Ainsley Harriots dinner kits.

Absolutey fabuous. The moroccan cous-cous one is lovely, and they're so easy to make.
Very easy instructions, and cheap too. All you have to add is the meat / veg.
Korma one has a mix for Roti bread in it, and now i make them at least oce a week. Make very good snacks with some plain yoghurt and chilli sauce... Mmmm.