1st HbA1c since low-carb

scottishkate

I just wanted to share my first HbAc1 result since I started low-carbing Berstein style. It was 6.1 - the lowest its been for a long, long time. I'm 26 and I've been a type 1 for 19 years and after years of rollercoasting between hypos and hypers I took the advice and help from the many wonderful people on this forum and drastically changed my diet and approach to my diabetes. Having also just moved to London I saw a new consultant for the first time who was very impressed and totally supports the low-carb lifestyle. I thought that I would have to go on an insulin pump in order to gain proper control of this disease but it looks like I won't have to now if i continue on this path - yay! Next HbAc1 is definately going to be in the 5's though :D

So again, thank you so much everyone - I would never have heard of the wonderful Dr Bernstein and the way of the low-carb brigade if I hadn't stumbed upon this forum. You lot are an inspiration and youve changed my life. Thank you :mrgreen:

Katie.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Re: 1st HbAc1 since low-carb

Katie,

Congratulations.

Regards, Tubs.

andyrobo

Well done!! :D

I am having my next HbA1C test after Christmas (well I will have the bloodwork done prior to Xmas) and will see the difference then, hopefully! I was 5.8, but last one was 6.8, so want to get back below 6!

Keep up the good work!

Andrea

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

That's great news Kate,way to go for your next Hba1c !!!!

iHs

I am curious Kate, exactly how many grams of carb are you now consuming in your average day?

I also now have a decent a1c but eat carb balanced out better throughout the day and no I'm not overweight. I believe people who are insulin dependant should balance out and restrict the amount of carb that they eat but not feel compelled to go the Bernstein way in order to do it.

scottishkate

Hi iHs,

I have a virually 0 carb breakfast which is usually 2 scrambled eggs with mushrooms/bacon/smoked salmon or an omlette (eggs are the low-carbers best friend).
Lunch is usually miso soup followed by a salad with combinations of lettuce, cucumber, radishes, sping onions, olives, maybe 1/2 an avocado, couple of baby toms with some kind of protein - e.g. some ham, roast chicken, feta cheese, cold fish with a oil/vinega dressing. So again, it works out pretty low maybe averaging around 10 - 15 carbs.
Then dinner is usually miso again 'cause I love it followed by protein (usually fish/chicken or tofu based) with piles of cooked veggies like cabbage, brocolli, califlower, green beans, asparagus (mmmmmm) etc. I may have two squares of 85% chocolate after as I find it kills the apetite and tastes good too! So probs average about 15 - 20 carbs. If I get hungry later I usually much some celery and soft cheese or eat a couple sheets of nori seaweed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give a breakdown of my diet but it helps to write it out to see exactly what I do eat!! Always average under 50g carbs a day and I feel fantastic for it - no hunger, no cravings and enough energy to exercise nearly everyday :D Oh, and waaaayyyy fewer hypos and hypers! :mrgreen:

Kate.

iHs

That sounds quite a diet Kate :lol:

It must cost you a small fortune? If I ate that amount of veg, I wouldnt have to put any fuel in my car, I would be able to produce my own gas :lol:

On an average day I eat about 10gram carb for breakfast, 5-10grams mid morning, 20grams lunch, 5-10grams mid afternoon and then 20grams for eve meal. I also eat a small snack before bed so that I dont go hypo between 3 and 6am. So I suppose I average on about 80-100 carb per day.

scottishkate

That's fairly lower carb that you're eating then. I guess it what works for the individual. I might start to experiment and try adding a few more carbs in here and there if I ever get bored/really miss things but for the time being I'm pretty happy with it. I suppose it does cost a bit but I'm coeliac too so I've always had to spend a bit more on food to keep things interesting. I figure that if all it takes is a special 'diet' to keep this chronic illness in check (obv along with insulin!) then it's **** well going to be a tasty one :lol: Until Christmas I'll be mostly eating frozen veg though 'cause I need to save some money and it's a lot cheaper!

Kate.

scottishkate

Heh heh, well if you're ever in the vicinity of Camden at 7am feel free to drop round :wink:

(Actually, those who hang around Camden in the early hours of the morning are probably not the sort of people one should invite in for breakfast!) :lol:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
congratulations hun,keep it up :D

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
very nice work - congrats!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done Kate
Your eating plan looks a lot like mine
AND it doesn't cost a fortune, if you shop carefully and don't buy any rubbish.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
**** - I was expecting people to be eating dust and cardboard - but after looking at that typical daily intake - i'm luvving it.

And eggs - i've not had any eggs for over a month becasue I thought they were not good for me, I could happily eat them till they came out my backside !!

Nori Seaweed - Never heard of it but I like seaweed so i'll be offskies to the shops to find some - anybody give me any pointers as to whether the local supermarkets stock these ?

I'm hungry now !!

Jimbo

scottishkate

Hi Jimbo,

You can usually find different varities of seaweed in the supermarket - I've bought it in Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose before. Any health food shop will have it too. Nori seaweed comes in thin sheets and is used for sushi rolls but you can roll up all sorts of things in them - e.g. hummous or cream cheese or cucumber dip with your choice of meat or fish. Tuna mayo is good! Or you can just munch the sheets on their own - kinda papery but I like it. Look out for the 'toasted' nori - it's very tasty to just snack on.

Wakami seaweed comes in knarley looking strips and is excellent for putting into miso soup (which is soooo healthy and the basis of many a good meal). It expands a lot so you only need to trim a wee bit off a strip and let it soak in the liquid for 5 mins.

Kombu seaweed is fantastic if you bake it then grind it up in a suribachi (a Japanese pestle and mortar) with some toasted sesame seeds this is called gomasio. Keep this in a jar and chuck it over cooked veg. Very delious and very good for you.

And that's your lession in seaweed for the day!! :D

Katie.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Great stuff Katie, you're an absolute star.
No doubt in my mind that your new improved diet will see you in the low 5's next time nae borra.
Beyond that, you might need to keep schtum unfortunately. I posted an HbA1c of 4.4 the other day only to be told that a 'normal' level for non-diabetics was somehow a bad idea for me.
Go figure.

fergus