1st HbA1c since low-carb

caitycakes1

I can't believe the stuff I am allowed to eat now. I'm lovin the double cream. I never would have dared eat cream or mayo pre-diagnosis. I have always watched my weight (I am incredibly vain) and would never have dared buy mayo or cream (too many calories). I am now a size 8 (thinnest I have ever been) and my weight has now stabilised so I must be having enough fat to keep it stable. I am on very small amounts of insulin and haven't had a hypo for months. I couldn't be more delighted. Blood sugars never above high 5's even after eating. My guardian angel was looking out for me when I found this forum and got introduced to the low carb lifestyle. It's thanks to experienced people here who are willing to share their expertise that I am best placed to avoid serious complications and horrible mistakes. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to help us newbies. Your input is absolutely invaluable.

Caitycakes x

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Caitycakes, that is wonderful news. You've made my day.
Only another 250 million or so people to get the message and we'll be there eh? :wink:

fergus

cinnamon

MISO, very healthy & with cleansing properties, versatile, but expensive (to buy instant sachets)
The basic Miso base is
1/ fermented yellow soy bean with
2/ fish extracts (originally kelp extracts, but often (called dashi) it is now made from fish extracts)

Cheaper option:
HOMEMADE Miso per bowl:

1/2 soup spoon (or less, when veg/meat cube is used) Fermented Yellow Bean Sauce (choose the one that hasn't been mixed with other ingredients, not to mention Sugar!! I bought mine from a Thai shop: the colour should be yellowish (the colour of Miso when it's 'dense') and you should still be able to see the bean shapes i.e. not smooth paste and not glistening. When the jar opened (£1 to £2? have bought this months ago and still considerable amount of miso bowls to enjoy for months to go) I put the rest in the freezer in a freezer container: it won't freeze because of the salt content I think... so, it's easy just to dip a clean spoon in to make the clear broth from the freezer. Because we dilute this with water to make the soup, the salt strength is equal to that healthy seasoning... PLEASE amend this if you are knowledgeable about precision tech (the best amount to use per bowl?) and the chemistry behind the salted beans. I use the amount of 1/2 soup spoon by comparing to simple tasting of the Instant Miso sachet, in this case, the Clearspring brand)

Optional 1: a drop or two of clear fish sauce (if needed, you can do without. Easily bought from the usual supermarket nowadays. Not too expensive, about £1+ per bottle, contain anchovy extract, salt and sugar, nominal considering we only use a drop)

Optional 2: 1/3 cube of veg/meat/fish cube or home made CLEAR (unseasoned) chicken bouillion if available

Boil with a bowl of water/or the bouillion + any veg, pieces of meat or fish. (turkey mince or chicken pieces or salmon or other fish: lunch portion! unless eating this for dinner: then, dinner portion)

When I use chicken or fish, I would omit Option 1 and Option 2.

For veg: I use mushrooms, romaine lettuce (before take off the hob), pieces of courgette.

Hope this is of any help.