2-day fast...trying something different

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm doing a multi-day fast 2-3 times per month. My last one was 48 hours, and I'm aiming for 54 this time around. Just to try something a little different, and to see how it goes, I switched my starting time from after dinner (7 pm) to after breakfast (in this case, 9:30 am). My hope was I would be asleep through some of the hardest parts.

Here's my observation: It was still pretty hard on day 2 between about 3 pm and 7 pm. This is not surprising as it's my normal 20:4 eating window. However, I have struggled in the past approaching 48 hours, and this time I was asleep for most of that. Also, morning into early afternoon is generally pretty easy for me fasting, and in this case, that is my "final push". I'm 5 hours from my goal, and finding it pretty comfortable.

Overall: I think picking a smart starting time has made it easier for me to reach my goal, although I'm not actually done yet, so I may have to eat crow in the next 5 hours. I am also finding that the more accustomed I get to fasting, the easier each fast becomes.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done! I am wanting to try a longer fasting period, but feel like I am always too busy to prepare myself for it. Hoping things will settle down soon and I can give it a try!
Thanks! This may sound a bit obvious, but there doesn't really need to be a lot of preparation for what is essentially just "not eating". I find it helps if you are adapted to a low-carb diet, as your body will want to run on fat/ketones when fasting. Other than that I just make sure to take a pinch of salt in my coffee, and drink lots of fluids. Feeding my family used to really bother me when fasting, but it's getting easier.
If you give it a try, please share. I'm always interested in hearing other's experiences.

90 minutes to go... :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting for 1 is easier than fasting as the only one in a family/household. There are no enticing and delicious sights and smells to contend with. My family are all adults and can and do cook for themselves but it doesn't help my willpower if they do!

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting for 1 is easier than fasting as the only one in a family/household. There are no enticing and delicious sights and smells to contend with. My family are all adults and can and do cook for themselves but it doesn't help my willpower if they do!

I hear ya. My wife did keto for several months and it was so much easier for me. She’s on a break from keto due to a string of gall bladder issues but plans to rejoin me soon. That will help. But fasting is a whole other experience and nobody here is interested. The glucose meter helps me stay motivated.

Reactions: MrsA2