2 Milestones!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been reading this particular section of the forum in the hope of, eventually, having something worth posting here myself. And today's the day!

I've broken 2 big milestones in the last day or so (having been diagnosed on 19th June)

The first is that yesterday was the first day that all my readings were below 6.0, including early morning (I tend to get quite a heavy liver dump) and 2 hours after food. It makes me truly believe that remission is not only possible for me, but almost within reach.

The second is that I just ate out with my friends. Notable for several reasons - firstly, I had the energy to do so! But also that I was able to order off the menu, knowing what I could and couldn't eat, and felt completely support by m friends. Upon returning home (less than 2 hours after eating), my BG was 6.3.

I am delighted. Energy, social life, resuming normal habits and not sending the BG into the sky... A big thank you to everyone who has patiently answered my questions, liked my silly posts, written advice to others (that I've eargerly read up) and walked this path before me so I had less to figure out on my own.

This post - my successes - are dedicated to you. <3

And a final note: Today was also the first time Euan low-carbed in a restaurant, too. It ended up being the first time he had salad (with an omelette) and he liked it so much he wanted seconds. I wasn't going to refuse!

Sock x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @SockFiddler and well done Euan. :)

It's a great feeling. You have shown positivity from day 1, which to me is one of the most important things, if not THE most important. You deserve to succeed.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bah! You didn't read yesterday's blog entry - a properly miserable one!

However, I'm cheered up today, not only because I've finally got something worth posting on this forum, but because I'm wearing my favourite red jumper and it's absolutely hanging on me. I'm lost inside it!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just made one new jumper, remade an old one and have started on a third one so I have three to wear - I am remaking loads of garments as they are all too large and anything which relies of being held up at the waist finds itself unsupported.
I am not losing weight, but I am losing volume.
I have just started my 'big job' of the year, servicing the knitting machines at the local university - I have 32 booked in and there are several more around the campus. Despite this I am going to band practice this evening, and will be going to Sidmouth next Sunday - it is the folk festival, and the week after I am teaching dancing. It is great to be able to take on these things again and not be afraid of brain fog or lack of energy.
It looks as though you have made a convert to low carbing too - I have yet to manage that...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yay! Well done, that lass.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been reading this particular section of the forum in the hope of, eventually, having something worth posting here myself. And today's the day!

I've broken 2 big milestones in the last day or so (having been diagnosed on 19th June)

The first is that yesterday was the first day that all my readings were below 6.0, including early morning (I tend to get quite a heavy liver dump) and 2 hours after food. It makes me truly believe that remission is not only possible for me, but almost within reach.

The second is that I just ate out with my friends. Notable for several reasons - firstly, I had the energy to do so! But also that I was able to order off the menu, knowing what I could and couldn't eat, and felt completely support by m friends. Upon returning home (less than 2 hours after eating), my BG was 6.3.

I am delighted. Energy, social life, resuming normal habits and not sending the BG into the sky... A big thank you to everyone who has patiently answered my questions, liked my silly posts, written advice to others (that I've eargerly read up) and walked this path before me so I had less to figure out on my own.

And a final note: Today was also the first time Euan low-carbed in a restaurant, too. It ended up being the first time he had salad (with an omelette) and he liked it so much he wanted seconds. I wasn't going to refuse!

Sock x

congratulations really a happy day :):):)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @SockFiddler ..
Well done and many congrats on your two truly wonderful milestones :happy::happy:
and to Euan on his achievement :happy::happy:
Hugs to you both

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done you. Being able to eat out with friends is important, I have found that the local wetherspoons, although mainly a chips-with-everything menu, does have some items that are lower carb and it means that I can eat out with friends by planning what I will eat and drink so everyone has a good time with minimum disruption. I am also in the process of going round the local cafes asking them if they offer a low carb option on their daily menu so that I can promote them at a T2 diabetic self help group. Sharing helps everyone.
A full day with levels below 6 is brilliant and a personal achievement. Remember and treasure the moment.
Euan eating salad and wanting seconds is your third achievement and possibly the biggest one of all. It is setting him up for life and has completely changed his attitude to vegetables.
You have achieved a lot in a short time. Well done again.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Sock x
Exceptional!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That really is wonderful news.
It suddenly feels like a long term possibility, this new way of eating, doesn't it?

and well done Euan. That is a fab new food experience, and to enjoy it that much... marvellous!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent progress @SockFiddler .

Does your son enjoy his new way of eating? My OH admitted, through gritted teeth that the LC way of eating is delicious. That from a man of Irish descent is something, in my view.

Reactions: ringi

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He has been struggling a bit on the vegetables, but that's nothing new. But he admits he feels stronger, healthier and leaner. And I reinforce good eating whenever I can with small, permissible treats. So after his 2 (huge) plates of salad, I let him pop into Lidl on the way home for some pepperoni, which he's a complete sucker for, and didn't even ask him to share it with me.

He'll get there. Ultimately he's still an 11 year old boy, and almost universally there seems to be a genetic aversion to vegetables at that age.

I'm so proud of him, though.