2 quick questions. Insulin/Metformin

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning all.

I am T2 and on novarapid and levemir as well as the horrible metformin.

Control is good, not perfect and I could do with lowing my levels, I have been dropping my weight a little over the last few years, after it going up , when I went on insulin, some 14 years ago !

My first question, is when should you take your fast acting insulin, before, straight after(which is a pain if you are out) or half and half at meal time?

I hate metformin, but I am now on 3 x 500 slow release tablets a day, and my joints are killing me. Any advice ?

Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kpol2016 Generally mealtime insulin should be injected before eating to give it time to start working before you begin to eat.

I don't take Metformin so I can't comment on the joints issue, but as always, don't assume it's diabetes-related, and do check with your doctor if you continue to have problems.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't get joint problems from metformin but if your lacking vitb12 because of metformin. Does that deficiency cause joint problems?
I'm finding the metformin and insulin works very very well when taken to suit your highs or higher carb meals/mealtimes.
What times are you injecting now and eating and your bg results 2 hrs after food and bg before bed?

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would talk to your dsn about insulin timing. There's some good stuff on the subject in the book think like s pancreas and the author has a paper on his website called strike the spike with lots of good info. Good luck with it all

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the input.

I will get my b12 levels checked , and start injecting half before meals and half afterwards, to see if that helps.

Thanks again