2 week update, I think it's going ok.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
So as many of you know I started on metformin a couple of weeks ago and received lots of amazing advice from people here. I have ditched most carbs, just have sugar and milk in my coffee and there are a couple of foods with a few grams of carbs.

I'm not really losing weight but I didn't expect to that quickly, my weight is fairly stable, hovering between 16st 7lb and 16st 10lb
The weight loss will come because I'm increasing my exercise each day. Surprisingly I'm not finding walking anywhere near as strenuous as before on my old, bad diet.

I now have my BG monitor, went for a tee2+ and just getting used to it. Hate every minute of it though because I've always had an irrational fear of needles. Even finger pricks scare me!!
I've managed to get a couple of successful tests done, amongst about 6 failed tests. I'm learning fast though. My results I believe are quite positive, test taken in the evening, before an evening meal but I have been eating through the day. One result was 5.8 and the second was 6.2
From the reading I've been doing that is within an acceptable range.
Haven't done testing after meals yet because I was naive enough to think that it would be easy to do the test and didn't bother ordering extra strips. I'm down to just a couple of test strips now!!

The metformin is still causing problems with my stomach but it's lasting just a day or 2 now. Foods are getting a bit boring because of my limited range. I have had some almond flour delivered so I'm going to try a few recipes but I'm not the best at baking.

Anyhow, I thought I'd give you fine people an update as you have been so welcoming. Hopefully I'm on the right track and can start to get back to a bit of normality soon, minus the excessive carbs I used to eat.

Last edited:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done so far!

It might help for you to forget about needles when you do the fingerprick test, because you can then see it as if it isn't really a needle just a tiny moment of pressure on your finger. Most of waste a lot of strips to begin with but soon get very proficient at it. So will you.

Would definitely help if you consider how to cut more sugar/carbs from your diet. Carb creep is so easy to kid ourselves over, but as the Scots say "many a mickle makes a muckle". Even if you can't yet do completely without milk/sugar in your coffee, endeavor to have less of it each time. Some people use sweeteners, others find that their tastes change radically with having less and less sugar. Do what suits you but the end result requires very little or no sugar and carbs intake.

You have such a good attitude towards your weight, and it WILL come down.

Stick with us and do share your progress.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @ retrogamer
If you look back you'll see how far you have come. It's steep learning curve and you are well on the way.
Remember you are adjusting to a new way of life and it will take time. No need to rush, or be perfect all the time.
Testing before AND after food will show the all important difference between the 2 figures, so persevere with finger testing. In the long term doing it now may well save you a limb or your sight as you discover what foods your body and tolerate.
Stick with it (needle pun intended ;))

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the words of encouragement @Outlier

The needle thing is something that has been with me most of my life, people used to say a needle was just a slight sting for a split second, they didn't know I had actually been stung by a bee when I was 5 so the two things became correlated in my mind, hence the irrational fear.

Carbs are being reduced to virtually zero, I still like some sugar in my coffee, I could probably switch to sweeteners if I find one that tastes ok. Aldi stevia is vile. The milk I have is very little as I don't actually like milk but I also don't like black coffee either.
I think my current carb intake is from mistaking foods for being carb free and then discovering afterwards that it isn't. Rarely happens but it has a few times.

I'm still learning but getting there slowly.

Reactions: callyandy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try your coffee Black, but topped with cream (I like double cream and it tastes sweet) the hot coffee sipped through the cold cream is sooo good.
Just don't make the coffee too hot that it curdles the cream.

Or you can just add the cream and stir it in, but to me that tastes too milky, whereas the cream in top is luxurious (to me!)

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Try your coffee Black, but topped with cream (I like double cream and it tastes sweet) the hot coffee sipped through the cold cream is sooo good.
Just don't make the coffee too hot that it curdles the cream.

Or you can just add the cream and stir it in, but to me that tastes too milky, whereas the cream in top is luxurious (to me!)
Thanks for the tip, I might try that. I've never been a big fan of milk or cream but I'm willing to give it a go.

I think I've managed to remove all other carbs from my diet anyway, at least the high carb foods I have. Some items I eat contain small quantities of carbs (1-2g per portion) which I believe is not a bad thing. It's mainly flavourings and the odd snack item like a bit of dark chocolate if I'm feeling a bit sick or weak.

I've found that my appetite has changed enormously since cutting out potatoes, chips, pasta etc. Previously I would eat everything on my plate, which was always overloaded! I would sometimes go back for seconds and even eat other peoples leftovers. Nothing seemed to satisfy my appetite. Last night I had an omelette and could barely finish it, this evening I had a chicken leg and nothing else. There was another chicken leg cooked but the mere thought of eating it turned my stomach!

I am still craving a nice cake or apple pie and custard though!!! I can dream of the day my bg is stable anyway. :p

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@retrogamer you can still have real custard, and apple crumble with almond flour crumble is low carb enough for an occasional dessert. There are several very good low carb recipe sites, lowcarblondoner is one such.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@retrogamer you can still have real custard, and apple crumble with almond flour crumble is low carb enough for an occasional dessert. There are several very good low carb recipe sites, lowcarblondoner is one such.
I've been reading a lot of low carb recipes. Some of them look amazing. I even found a very nice looking low carb chocolate cake recipe which I was surprised about.

Just need to get better at baking! :D

I've already got a bag of almond flour to try.

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
in fact, cooking low-carb dishes is not so difficult, my husband is starting to get used to it, and even likes most of them. I especially liked almond flour. It adds a rich, nutty flavor and texture.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
in fact, cooking low-carb dishes is not so difficult, my husband is starting to get used to it, and even likes most of them. I especially liked almond flour. It adds a rich, nutty flavor and texture.
I need to start getting into baking because my current list of foods to eat is getting boring. I'm eating nothing but eggs, cheese, meats and fish.

Hopefully when I've finished increasing my dosage of metformin, my stomach will finally settle and I won't feel too sick to stand in the kitchen mixing ingredients. I have one more increase, this coming Saturday so hopefully about a week later I'll be fine.

There are numerous savoury recipes I want to try like the obvious, bread. I miss toast! There are also some nice looking treats I plan on trying. I mentioned the chocolate cake earlier, I found it again on a site called chocolate covered katie. I'm sure someone here gave me a link to it.
Easy-Low-Carb-Chocolate-Keto-Cake-Recipe.jpg

That's the image of their allegedly low carb cake. Looks pretty decent.
You can probably guess why I'm carrying extra weight, cake and chocolate are my weakness.

Anyhow, I'll be trying a few recipes soon and I'll report back both good and disasters!!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the words of encouragement @Outlier

The needle thing is something that has been with me most of my life, people used to say a needle was just a slight sting for a split second, they didn't know I had actually been stung by a bee when I was 5 so the two things became correlated in my mind, hence the irrational fear.

Carbs are being reduced to virtually zero, I still like some sugar in my coffee, I could probably switch to sweeteners if I find one that tastes ok. Aldi stevia is vile. The milk I have is very little as I don't actually like milk but I also don't like black coffee either.
I think my current carb intake is from mistaking foods for being carb free and then discovering afterwards that it isn't. Rarely happens but it has a few times.

I'm still learning but getting there slowly.
Agree on the Aldi stevia. I've found Truvia to be much better - from Sainsbury's. Double cream and truvia at home, machiatto or espresso when out (neither sweetened).

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree on the Aldi stevia. I've found Truvia to be much better - from Sainsbury's. Double cream and truvia at home, machiatto or espresso when out (neither sweetened).
Interestingly my son works at Sainsbury's and never told me about their sugar alternatives. :D :D

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly my son works at Sainsbury's and never told me about their sugar alternatives. :D :D
Kids, eh?

I used the Truvia firstly for cooking - I'd been using one of the pellet sucralose sweetners, also from Sainsburys. Only later tried it with coffee, found I liked it better.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found that my appetite has changed enormously since cutting out potatoes, chips, pasta etc. Previously I would eat everything on my plate, which was always overloaded! I would sometimes go back for seconds and even eat other peoples leftovers. Nothing seemed to satisfy my appetite. Last night I had an omelette and could barely finish it, this evening I had a chicken leg and nothing else. There was another chicken leg cooked but the mere thought of eating it turned my stomach!
Just wait for the wonderful day when you suddenly realise you havent eaten anything all day..,, and still are not hungry!
It's a good sign your metabolism is healing and you no longer crave carbs

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just wait for the wonderful day when you suddenly realise you havent eaten anything all day..,, and still are not hungry!
It's a good sign your metabolism is healing and you no longer crave carbs
Bit like today except it's these **** metformin tablets causing my stomach to do somersaults lol. I'm literally forcing food down me just to take them

• Hug
Reactions: callyandy

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I have a very sweet tooth and I live 2 doors down from a bakery! However I am trying to train my brain by having something savoury like small cube of cheese or an olive whenever I have a sweet craving. The cheese especially satisfies the mouth feel.
So far it is working- I haven’t had anything sweet for over 3 weeks.

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a very sweet tooth and I live 2 doors down from a bakery! However I am trying to train my brain by having something savoury like small cube of cheese or an olive whenever I have a sweet craving. The cheese especially satisfies the mouth feel.
So far it is working- I haven’t had anything sweet for over 3 weeks.
This is a great idea! Training your brain to respond to savory foods instead of sweet ones can be a very effective way to reduce sugar cravings. Tell me, what about dried fruits? Are there any restrictions?

Reactions: aylalake

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a great idea! Training your brain to respond to savory foods instead of sweet ones can be a very effective way to reduce sugar cravings. Tell me, what about dried fruits? Are there any restrictions?
Dried fruits are sugar bombs and may be best avoided, the drying process increases the sugar that’s why they taste so sweet