2 Weeks into testing, need a 'reality' check!

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I mentioned on an earlier thread, I have just started testing with a contour meter. Two weeks later my overall average is 6.5, and I am testing on waking, before dinner and 2 hours after.

My main observations, with a couple of questions, are

- My morning readings vary from 6-7, never over, but never under 6. I know the dawn phenomenon is a probable cause, but I am concerned about these, and at a loss to know how to bring them down.

- My early evening readings are always the lowest, from 4.5 - 5.7, so no issues here I think.

- I am pleased with my meal plus 2 hours, which are usually under 8, but has occasionally strayed into the low 8's. I had one 8.9, but the next highest was 8.2.

I am low carbing, about 130g a day. About 50-60g in the day and the rest in the evenings.

Does anyone have any comments on the above?

Also, can anyone tell me what an average of 6.5 will translate into as an Hbac1 reading?

Many thanks

Caterham

hallii

Your figures are fine, they show good control and should represent a good HbA1c result.

Testing your fasting level from time to time is OK, it good to know what it is, that said there is little you ca do about it.

As your overall BGs come down so will the fasting level, that is if you liver decides to cooperate! Your liver might just decide to dump glucose every morning in case you wantto go on a 2 hour hunt for food.

You coluld try a workout before brekkie, then you might find that your liver thinks you really have gone on a hunt and dumps even more glucose to give you energy for the extra work.

It is a sobering though that we might think we are modern but our bodies arestill 50,000 years in the past!

H

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Great results!

Don't worry about DP because as your new healthy lifestyle goes on it should gradually come down. A 6.5 average equates to and HbA1c of 5.4% old style or 35.5 new style. As its an average over 3 months (ish) you may find the first one will come back slightly higher than your prediction as some of your old bad blood cells may still be floating around.

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the replies, very helpful as always!