Type 2 2

bascullin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new, so I'm not sure how this works.
I have type 2 diabetes and take Metformin, I don't self test, as I've been told, it's only type 1 that need to test. I have not had a blood test since August, and I think it was 55?. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and NAFL.
Should I be self distancing or shielding for 12 weeks. When you read the advice for the at risk groups, sometimes it mentions diabetics and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't left the house for 11 days, as I'm not sure, if I belong to the category of Shielding.
I have no cough or fever.
Thank you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new, so I'm not sure how this works.
I have type 2 diabetes and take Metformin, I don't self test, as I've been told, it's only type 1 that need to test. I have not had a blood test since August, and I think it was 55?. I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and NAFL.
Should I be self distancing or shielding for 12 weeks. When you read the advice for the at risk groups, sometimes it mentions diabetics and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't left the house for 11 days, as I'm not sure, if I belong to the category of Shielding.
I have no cough or fever.
Thank you.
Hello, and welcome, @bascullin .

You do seem very worried, but you are among friends.
If you are in UK, ...answer to your questions:
Most with T2 are told not to test blood glucose levels, but the most successful way many have found to keep control is to test. Test kits can be bought reasonably cheaply such as these..
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

A
t the very least test and keep records of fasting level on waking, before each meal, and 2 hours after each meal. That way you will be able to see how what you are eating affects your blood glucose.

Regarding self distancing, we are all needing to do that. This explains who needs to be in the ‘Shielding’ category, which means staying home..
https://patient.info/news-and-features/covid-19-coronavirus-what-is-shielding-and-who-needs-it
A
nyone in UK needing to be in the shielding group ought to receive notification by the end of the week. If you are still not sure check with your surgery.

As you are new here , have a look at the information for new members...
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088
Best wishes
Pipp

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went out the week before everything blew up and did a lot of shopping - the women of the family are a bit fey. I'm not all that concerned for myself - but I know, from having used a meter, that my blood glucose has been normal for years now. If I did not have that certainty I might be more anxious about becoming ill.
I can only suggest that if you can stay isolated that it would be the safest option.

Reactions: bascullin

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

A lot of us have been where you are. Many of us type 2s are told we don't need to test. That is because some of the medical profession believe it is a progressive illness and nothing you can do to prevent it. That is simply not true.

I think regular testing is essential particularly at first. How else can you know what effect the food you ate had on your levels.. Get a meter and test.

The next thing is read the links that were provided by @Pipp They are full of helpful information.

My personal take on the current corona virus is to keep strictly low carb- that makes my blood sugar levels as low as possible . If I get the virus that will raise my blood sugar levels so I want the lowest point for it to start from.

I also think that the medical profession is learning more and more about this virus every day. I think taking precautions is good. If you can self isolate without causing other problems that might be good but you have to look after yourself all the time, I can't self isolate at the moment so I'm using hand sanitiser and disinfectant wipes and washing my hands very regularly.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: bascullin

bascullin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to the people who have replied to me. I have taken the good advice. you have given.
I'm also following the links and exploring the site,

I'm trying to get used to using the site, so I might make mistakes or not reply. Sorry.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to the people who have replied to me. I have taken the good advice. you have given.
I'm also following the links and exploring the site,

I'm trying to get used to using the site, so I might make mistakes or not reply. Sorry.
No need to apologise. We all make mistakes. All learn as we go along.