2018/19 Football Season

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand when you write about certain types of fans, the ones I do feel sorry for, are those that travel the country and support their club through thin and thinner, those that despite the lack of success are there as much as possible, do whatever to get there despite the appalling motorways, train service and treated like cattle or criminals by police, stewards and the like.
Then success comes, these supporters are forgotten as the glory hunters turn up, the wannabes, and the affluent prawn brigade, tickets are at a premium because the club wants to cash in, even club shop prices rocket, exclusivity becomes the norm, season tickets rise too high for the genuine support. Child's prices rocket. As long as the club is raking money in, everyone else is sacrificed for the club.
I could name a few clubs, because of the stadium size is too small, where this has happened.
It now costs a lot of money to follow your team. How are those left behind supposed to get live football?

I find myself in a privileged position to what is happening in professional football, I have seen behind the scenes, and I am honoured to represent my club, there is a lot to dislike in modern football history.

Still looking forward to next season!
Then there's those who would love to follow their club week in week out, but just can't get a ticket. That's the problem with messing with supply and demand. I guess this only applies to supporters of a handful of clubs...Arsenal, Liverpool and ManU. When the Emirates Stadium was built the locals were offered season tickets, one of the conditions imposed by the council I believe. Sounds reasonable doesn't it? However any locals who really wanted a season ticket already had one or were already on the season ticket waiting list (as were we). So any of the locals who weren't even on the list were pushed ahead of us and weren't really interested in the season ticket but just saw it as a way to cash in. Entry to the new stadium was by smart card. This was difficult for the touts, it meant that they had to go into the ground 'wasting' one of their tickets and stay till half time to retrieve their cards. Great! We thought this would stop touts selling them. Nope. After complaints the club then arranged for some members to get paper tickets again. Clubs don't care where the money comes from as long as it comes in.

Then there's the capped away tickets prices which really messed with supply and demand. What we fans really wanted was for all away tickets to be available at the lowest category price for that ground. If we were a category A match then what we wanted as away fans was tickets for category C prices at that particular ground, whether that be £25 or £50. What happened was more than we were asking for. All away tickets have been priced at £30 for the Premiership for the last few seasons. This has been great for us. However it means that new fans can't get onto the first rung of the away ticket ladder as seasoned fans keep going as it's so cheap (well relative to other things) You need credits to get away tickets. When we started going to matches we could go to the North East and Midlands for 0 credits, so it was easy-ish to build up to the first level of 5 credits and 25 credits was the magic number that could get you any away ticket you wanted. Now it's 15 credits minimum for any away game (except League cup) and you have no hope of ever getting on the ladder. When we were in Baku in October for the group stages we met one lady who had gone there just to get a credit, giving her total of 3 credits (for European matches you have to pick up a slip at the ground to register your credit, so you can't just buy a ticket and not go)

So both these schemes have messed with the economics of supply and demand making it worthwhile for fans who are no longer interested in going to matches themselves to sell their tickets on.

I am going to enjoy the rest from footie until the new season starts. Really not interested in Internationals at all.

Reactions: Cumberland

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm. @Lamont D Might be better to finish just above mid table and stay there for a while as a good Div 1 team? Don't shout at me lol. I would just hate to see you go up too soon and then start to drop down again. The standard of footie in the Conference ( or whatever it's called nowadays) isn't so different from the standard in Div 2 . The difference in Div 1 and. Championship is much greater. Better to be a decent Div 1 team for a couple of seasons or so and then go up.

Yep running for cover now....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hmmm. @Lamont D Might be better to finish just above mid table and stay there for a while as a good Div 1 team? Don't shout at me lol. I would just hate to see you go up too soon and then start to drop down again. The standard of footie in the Conference ( or whatever it's called nowadays) isn't so different from the standard in Div 2 . The difference in Div 1 and. Championship is much greater. Better to be a decent Div 1 team for a couple of seasons or so and then go up.

Yep running for cover now....

No, I agree with you!
We don't have the financial backing to be competitive any higher, we are just only getting league two revenues, never mind league one!
A couple of seasons at this level will do just the job!

Johnboy412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh has died aged 49 after suffering a cardiac arrest.

A sad day in the world of football. RIP Justin :(

Johnboy412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The United States recorded the biggest ever victory in the Fifa Women's World Cup as they crushed Thailand 13-0.

Flipping heck that's a corker and certainly must be one of the highest scores in the world of Football. I know there's been a few 11-0 in this countries league football but I cant ever recall anyone getting 13-0.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We once won 13-4 v Bolton on a boxing day game many, many years ago, which is still a record score. Our striker that day scored nine! Another record!

Reactions: Johnboy412

Johnboy412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 Sounds promising does this. Good luck I hope the new owner will inject some serious cash and get you sorted out :)
Bolton administrators chose preferred bidder
22ca9116-9c4f-4dd8-9bc3-80d62e76b646.png

BBC Sport

A preferred new owner to take over Bolton Wanderers has been identified by administrators, the club has confirmed.

375900e6-14a8-40a7-a136-4f2958f1010e.jpg

Andrew Kearns GettyCopyright: Andrew Kearns Getty
In a statement on its website, it said the preferred bidder has also agreed to inject £1m into the club to rebuild the squad for the coming season.

It is hoping to sign the deal on Thursday.

Quot

Johnboy412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maurizio Sarri has left Chelsea to become manager of Serie A champions Juventus on a three-year deal.

Sarri, who joined the Blues from Napoli in July 2018, led them to third in the Premier League and won the Europa League in his one season in charge.

Blimey he didn't last long.