22 years of being type 1 and feeling run down

AmandaH87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
This is my first post on here and not sure why I didn't do it sooner!
I've been a type 1 diabetic for 22 years and I have those days where i still don't feel in control. I'm the heaviest now that I've ever been but I eat healthy low carb food! My exercise regime has decreased after feeling no motivation or energy anymore. I'm also starting to think about preparing to start a family as I feel like a ticking time bomb but not sure if I will ever have enough control to start one.
Sorry for the rant but it's nice to speak to people who might be going through the same feelings.
Amanda x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there Amanda
welcome to the forum :)
I am really sorry to hear you are feeling run down and de-motivated.

my first thing is to say -- try and not beat yourself up too much.
Living with this chronic condition can weigh down all of us from time to time.

I have included a link here about diabetes burnout http://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/diabetes-burnout.html
it is worth a read and might help you to see that your feelings are not out of the ordinary.

also -- you have made a good choice joining us here. There are lots of people that have been through the sorts of things you mention including me over my 43 years as a D.

keep posting and I am sure some other people will be along soon to offer their support.

all the best !!

AmandaH87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure, I'm due my mot bloods soon so hopefully I will find out. The thought has crossed my mind.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Amanda and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any input from your diabetes team? To get back control you have to start with the basics and do some basal testing, once you know your basal dose is right you can then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's and diet.

There's a really good book you should buy if you don't own it already, it's called Think Like a Pancreas and covers all aspects of type 1 diabetes management, but maybe once you get your bg levels under control you may feel better in yourself and your energy levels might return.

Good luck with the blood tests.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amanda, I understand you saying you eat healthy but what are your bg's like? Obviously this could effect your energy levels, worth getting your thyroid checked too though as mentioned.

Have you spoken to your diabetes team about wanting to start a family? Ideally you want to have a good a1c when you become pregnant & maintain throughout

Abbie X

AmandaH87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They usually range between 4 to 14. The high ones generally being after dinner. I haven't spoken to anyone yet I have my diabetic review in a month so I was going to bring it up then. X

greycat001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Amanda,
Also get your B12 and Vitamin D checked, if these are not at the correct level it can make you feel exhausted.
Take care.
Elaine

AmandaH87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Amanda and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any input from your diabetes team? To get back control you have to start with the basics and do some basal testing, once you know your basal dose is right you can then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's and diet.

There's a really good book you should buy if you don't own it already, it's called Think Like a Pancreas and covers all aspects of type 1 diabetes management, but maybe once you get your bg levels under control you may feel better in yourself and your energy levels might return.

Good luck with the blood tests.
Took your advise and just put the book on my kindle. Will have a read a bit later. Thanks for the advise. Amanda x

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Amanda,

Sorry that you feel this way, hardly surprising, having type 1 can feel quite lonely at times and it's easy to fall off the wagon with your control, however to me your levels sound quite similar, I can easily run between 4 and 14 and eat low carb too. I suggest as others have to get your thyroid checked out, it can really get you down if its this and weight can easily increase, also chat to your doctor or your team about how you feel too, tell them about your thoughts in starting a family, depending on your trust they might put you forward for a pump. This feeling will pass, but you are definitely not alone, message me if you need a chat ;)

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Noblehead, Think Like a Pancreas improved my control dramatically. It teaches you all the rules you need to know, from the basics to the advanced. It's a must buy and will deffo help you.