23yrs with Diabetes

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just wanted to say about my life with this ever so nice, really easy condition to live with!!! (can you detect the sarcasm?), over the last 23years (longer than my marriage, older than my son) I have experienced some lows, and some highs, but I wouldn't change it for the world. bare with me now,
when I was first diagnosed back in 1995, I was working in forestry doing the job I loved, felling trees and being outdoors, I absolutely loved it, fast forward six months and my world changed, forever. on insulin Novorapid and Insulatard, lost a load of weight (which I needed to if I'm honest) and had to eat healthily now fast forward to the present day and even though I have had some complications, Proliferative Retinopathy, Cataracts and a small stroke, I had to stop my job felling trees, but I now teach first aid, and am now on a pump, which in itself has changed my life again.
I help people understand this condition as much as I can, it has actually made me a more positive person, because I feel with this condition we have to be, otherwise we can be really poorly, and if we don't watch what we eat or exercise we can be like every one else (normal lol!!! and who would want that) I haven't let this condition stop me do anything at all,I competed in strong man (nearly qualified for Britain's Strongest man), Body building and now going into power Lifting (oldies Divisions!!) I'm trying to be really positive for people who are newly diagnosed and are a bit unsure of what can lie ahead for them. as I was told by my consultant on diagnosis (his name escapes me now) " Don't let it hold you back, and don't let it rule your life" I think I have lived that mantra up to now. hope fully for a few more years with this condition. As I said at the beginning I wouldn't change it for the world as I don't think I would have done these things I have done because I have tried them because I was a Diabetic and not one, if you understand.
sorry for the long post.:)

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great post @johnpol and thank you for sharing this - newly diagnosed need to hear these stories to give them hope that they can still lead full lives and not become hindered by it, so it's great to hear from you :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@johnpol . Great post, great attitude.
27 yrs and hand on heart I don't think I could live without diabetes now.
It has and still does inspire and focus my life enabling me to be a better individual in so many different ways.
Fully understand where you are coming from with your post.
I think the sacrifices we have to make as diabetics actually make us far stronger as human beings.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol . Great post, great attitude.
27 yrs and hand on heart I don't think I could live without diabetes now.
It has and still does inspire and focus my life enabling me to be a better individual in so many different ways.
Fully understand where you are coming from with your post.
I think the sacrifices we have to make as diabetics actually make us far stronger as human beings.
I totally agree with that sentiment, it was actually what I was trying to say!! we need newly diagnosed people to realise that diabetes can actually make you a stronger and better person, in some respects

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
just wanted to say about my life with this ever so nice, really easy condition to live with!!! (can you detect the sarcasm?), over the last 23years (longer than my marriage, older than my son) I have experienced some lows, and some highs, but I wouldn't change it for the world. bare with me now,
when I was first diagnosed back in 1995, I was working in forestry doing the job I loved, felling trees and being outdoors, I absolutely loved it, fast forward six months and my world changed, forever. on insulin Novorapid and Insulatard, lost a load of weight (which I needed to if I'm honest) and had to eat healthily now fast forward to the present day and even though I have had some complications, Proliferative Retinopathy, Cataracts and a small stroke, I had to stop my job felling trees, but I now teach first aid, and am now on a pump, which in itself has changed my life again.
I help people understand this condition as much as I can, it has actually made me a more positive person, because I feel with this condition we have to be, otherwise we can be really poorly, and if we don't watch what we eat or exercise we can be like every one else (normal lol!!! and who would want that) I haven't let this condition stop me do anything at all,I competed in strong man (nearly qualified for Britain's Strongest man), Body building and now going into power Lifting (oldies Divisions!!) I'm trying to be really positive for people who are newly diagnosed and are a bit unsure of what can lie ahead for them. as I was told by my consultant on diagnosis (his name escapes me now) " Don't let it hold you back, and don't let it rule your life" I think I have lived that mantra up to now. hope fully for a few more years with this condition. As I said at the beginning I wouldn't change it for the world as I don't think I would have done these things I have done because I have tried them because I was a Diabetic and not one, if you understand.
sorry for the long post.:)

A great post @johnpol and such a positive one too, it was lovely to read. I think many of us have been through similar. This is my 29th year and I've been through a lot of up's and down's both medically and emotionally ( even had my daughter at 42 old, my ultimate diabetes moment) but will always fight on and hope for the best.

Take care

Reactions: therower

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A great post @johnpol and such a positive one too, it was lovely to read. I think many of us have been through similar. This is my 29th year and I've been through a lot of up's and down's both medically and emotionally ( even had my daughter at 42 old, my ultimate diabetes moment) but will always fight on and hope for the best.

Take care
Thank you, we all need to be positive about this condition (easier said than done I know)
and you Take care too