28 Blood Glucose, no diagnosis

Hi there, about 7 weeks ago I did my GD test and passed. I'm now 34 weeks and feel very ill, dizzy, frequent urination and thirst. My midwife tested my urine and it was 28 mmol. I went to hospital immediately and after a few hours of not eating they did blood work and my blood sugar came back at 5.5.

They said I'm free to go home and I don't have diabetes. But my question is how on earth did I have 28 Blood sugar and be fine the next day? I wonder if my blood sugar went down because I hadn't eaten for 4 hours when they drew my blood.

Any advice on next steps?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A test of your urine, quite obviously, isn't a test of blood sugar. It's a test of how much glucose is in your urine. It's usually done by sticking a dipstick in your pee and seeing what colour the dipstick changes, the darker it goes the higher the glucose concentration. But with a test that involves matching colours you don't get an exact number result, the colours will put the result in a range like 10-14, 14-18, 18-22, 22-26, 26+. If your getting your urine tested for glucose it's unusual to be told your blood sugar is anything, because that's not what they are testing, and it's quite unusual to be given an exact number because the tests arent capable of resulting in an exact number.

If you got a blood sugar test of 5.5 in hospital I would suggest the urine test was probably inaccurate or a false positive.

Obviously keep an eye on your symptoms and if you're concerned go to the doctor. Your GP should be able to do a finger stick test so you won't have to do any messing around with urine.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @thisrookiewife :)

We're you given any reason for the glucose in your urine? Eg could the container have been contaminated? Were things like a UTI ruled out? They can be 'silent' in pregnancy.

If it was me, I'd ask for another oral glucose tolerance test just to be sure. I'd also ask about a urinary infection as you're feeling ill. I'd also speak to my midwife about the way forward so that I knew I was being monitored properly for the final weeks of pregnancy.

It's not impossible to develop GD later on, but it is strange that your urine glucose was apparently so,high and then your blood sugar was normal. I personally think it needs keeping an eye on - not because I think any thing's wrong, but just as a precaution :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do let us know how things go, and wishing you the best for the rest of your pregnancy :)