28yr man - diabetes

joe-90

I would say if depends on your definition of "bad". In general, the NHS definition of bad is anything full fat, so butter, meat with fat on - but these do not raise blood glucose levels. The NHS definition of "good" (in general again) is the Eatwell Plate, and advice to eat brown bread, rice, pasta, low fat everything..but no mention of the sugar that these things contain. These foods are still carbohydrate, and they will still raise blood sugar levels. How much they raise them is why people are advised to use a meter.
Test strips for meters are very expensive. There is also no perceived risk of hypo for a type 2 on metformin or diet, so it is not deemed necessary for those with type 2 to have one, instead relying on the HbA1c, which can happen every 3 months, or 6, or 9 and in some cases 12. If somebody is eating foods that they have been advised is good for their diabetes, and it is in fact raising their levels significantly, they won't know about it. So the HbA1c gets higher and higher, more meds are brought into the mix, and the person concerned is left wondering what the hell has gone wrong..is it any wonder we are told it's a progressive condition?

My next appointment with the diabetes nurse isn't until October so maybe I should try and find my meter. If i can't find it, does anyone know of one that is reasonable for meter plus test strips?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi again Joe. One that a lot of us use is the SD Codefree (sure someone can come along with a link!) because the strips are probably the cheapest of the lot. It's basic, but does the job ok, I got mine from Amazon. Hope this helps:)

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@joe-90 - Hi.:) It is a personal choice and up to you if you want to control it? I don't test my blood sugars several times a day, (although I have been told to do so) I take Insulin and Diabetic tablets daily, and have had Type 2 nearly 16 years now and my blood sugars are mostly within range:)

If you've been told to test Several times a day then there's a reason for it...
On insulin you should be testing pre meal and 2 hours after, getting up and bedtime and driving etc.... I hope your hba1c is always in range..

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@donnellysdogs - I test fbs, then after lunch, and before bed everyday. 3 out of 7 is not bad! (7 being recommended by GP) Occasionally I might test before Evening meal. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
You posted 3 years ago with a diagnosis of T2.... Are you prepared now to make changes??
Hi Donnelleysdogs, I just wanted to give you and update, since being diagnosed I have now taken it seriously

I am 2stone down and run three times a week, I watch what I eat by the calorie and keep my sugars and carbs down

Thanks for the support just wanted to share with you!

Reactions: 4 people