29 weeks - starting to feel very real now!

Elc1112

I can't believe how quickly the last few months have gone! Still seems to surreal to think that we will have a little one here in a couple of months :)

Anyway, I had a check up at the hospital yesterday. Growth scan and a chat with the diabetic antenatal consultants. At the minute, baby is measuring around 2lbs and 2oz. Abdominal circumference and all that are normal.

When I had my chat with the consultants afterwards, they were happy with the measurements. I have been asked to go back in four weeks for another scan, just to make sure everything is staying on he right track. I also got the results of my last HbA1C. 35, which j was really happy with. Two of the consultants said his was spot on. Another said he would like to see it lower. I explained that any lower I start to struggle with hypos, but he was adamant that it could and should be done...

Just wondering what other people's experience with HbA1C while pregnant has been? Also curious to know how the above mentioned weight at 28 weeks compares with other mums to be?

Em

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My lowest HbA1C while pregnant was 27. I don't remember all the figures, but I think they varied between 27 and 33, but that 27 was a supremely good one and the average was probably higher. Personally, I'd say 35 was great. You must have worked really hard to get that. I know how difficult it is.

I don't remember my baby's weights at all the scans, but he stayed on the 50th centile pretty much all the way through.

And yes, pregnancy goes scarily quickly!

Elc1112

27 is amazing! I'm definitely happy with 35. My insulin requirements are increasing, but I'm still getting the odd hypo, especially when the baby is having a particularly active day!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Em, at my 28w scan baby was weighing around 2lb 9 and all measurements were on target, 32w scan baby had gone up to 4lb 9 and on 90th centile, but still measuring in proportion, my 36w scan is on Monday so I'll get back to you on that one!
Lol I'm expecting her to have gotten huge as I've had a ridiculous appetite these last few weeks now my hypermesis seems to have decided to give it a rest.

A1c at start of pregnancy was 41, then 39 beginning of 2nd trimester and 38 at start of 3rd, your 35 is fab!

It does go fast I've had moments that I felt like everything was slowing down but with only a few weeks left I feel like my whole pregnancy has flown! X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Elc1112

Hope the 36 week scan goes well! Your HbA1cs are great - sounds like you're doing a fab job :)

I feel like my bump has trebled in size in the last week! Starting to look and feel like I have swallowed a basket ball haha

Do you know what you're having?

Em x

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just want to ask about such low hba1cs. There is no way on earth my consultant would be happy under 37. I hypo all the time and mine is 43. I mean that's impressive but how does it affect your life? With this pregnancy I've been more or less between 45 and 42. Baby is just measuring entirely average and with my first my glucose was a little higher. I normally keep my hba1c at around 50 when not pregnant and hospital are happy if it doesn't go over this. I wonder why there are such differences I'm the acceptable ranges if there can be potential damage to mother and baby? A consultant want's an hba1c lower than 35? I find it all bizarre and confusing even after 25 years of type 1 diabetes. I thought I was doing well now I'm supremely down on myself. Well done to you ladies though. Seems I'm not in as much control as I thought. Good luck with your pregnancies xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Loulou52 :)

How many weeks pregnant are you? Yes, hypos aren't uncommon in pregnancy, especially because of the need for very tight control. I used to use little snacks between meals if I was going low. It's a delicate balancing act.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope the 36 week scan goes well! Your HbA1cs are great - sounds like you're doing a fab job :)

I feel like my bump has trebled in size in the last week! Starting to look and feel like I have swallowed a basket ball haha

Do you know what you're having?

Em x

I think I felt like my bump suddenly became huge around 30ish weeks, definitely more so the last 2 weeks though, my mam said she thought I look like I have a ball up my top now

36w scan was fine (having a girl) she's around 6lb 9 now, I don't know why I expected her to be about 8lb something so felt a little relieved lol

Had bloods done again for hba1c and I'm totally expecting it to have gone up as I'm finding it pretty hard to get decent numbers now, plus my huge appetite isn't helping! But we shall see

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Elc1112

Loulou 52,

I had quite a few hypos in my first trimester but not so many now. I am testing constantly - fingers are raw - and doing correction doses/having snacks as and when I need to. I went in to a bit of a panic when I found out I was pregnant. The consultant kept reminding me of the need for good control and so on, and I just became hell bent on keeping my sugars in range. My Hba1c was always good, but it's been better than ever during pregnancy.

Your levels are great, so certainly no needy one down on yourself. They will be monitoring you and your baby so closely. As long as they are happy, I wouldn't worry!

The main consultant I saw was happy with my latest results. There was just one person in the room who seemed to think it could be better. I'm not too worried about that, though. Any lower and j know I will be hypoing more than I should.

Em x