urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
31 and struggling to accept also finding it hard to talk to friends and family about it.

Hi @Stewart1 , welcome to our family. You don't need to be shy here, just ask as many questions as you like.

Are you a T1 or a T2 mate?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Type 1 - cool even more 'elite' (that's a joke for any T2's reading this - just saying).

If you feel this platform allows you to share your worries and concerns then let us know what you're struggling with. Alternatively, just have a look around the forums and get a feel for the place, we have some good, experienced and knowledgeable diabetics here.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Stewart1
What aspects do you want to talk about?
We have a fair few T1s from newly diagnosed to those with over 50 years of injections.

Reactions: Debandez

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
31 and struggling to accept also finding it hard to talk to friends and family about it.
Hi Stewart
I have been type 1 nearly 5 years. I still struggle to talk to friends and family about it, mainly because they don't seem to get it when I do or confuse type 1 with type 2. But on this forum we DO GET IT. I reach out when I need to and learn so much from other's posts. There are folk like me here and folk that blow me away with their knowledge, advice and experience.
Good luck.

Stewart1

Hi Stewart
I have been type 1 nearly 5 years. I still struggle to talk to friends and family about it, mainly because they don't seem to get it when I do or confuse type 1 with type 2. But on this forum we DO GET IT. I reach out when I need to and learn so much from other's posts. There are folk like me here and folk that blow me away with their knowledge, advice and experience.
Good luck.

Yes I agree .they don't understand Ihave struggled to finger prick test due to working in fast food which I explained to my nurse so now I'm on free style libre sensor .and they are expensive an with my wife not to well every think is just getting on top off me .which makes make things harder for me financially and emotionally to talk about too

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Assuming you are in the UK, you should be able to make a case for having the Libre free of charge. Can I suggest you write to your GP. If you get a negative response, then write to both your CCG and local MP.

Good luck and hello.

Reactions: EllieM

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I agree .they don't understand Ihave struggled to finger prick test due to working in fast food which I explained to my nurse so now I'm on free style libre sensor .and they are expensive an with my wife not to well every think is just getting on top off me .which makes make things harder for me financially and emotionally to talk about too
Stewart
Talk to your dsn. My dsn is amazing. Talk about home and work pressure. Quite simply let him /her know how you feel. Remember they will have heard most of it before and whilst they cannot perform miracles they are on our side. Hopefully then you can get your libre on the NHS. Most of us should get them from April anyway. I have mine on the NHS and yes I did have to battle for it. But it was worth the fight.
You just need to share your fears and thoughts with someone and your dsn/GPS are on our side-so speak up, you may not always get the answers you wish for but you will feel better for sharing - even though it can be hard.
Hang on in there. Keep talking.
You are already doing the incredible.