3 Day Water Fast To Enter Keto.

muckinfunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it safe for a Type 2 diabetic into a 3 day water fast to enter keto quicker,without doing the 2 week induction switch over thing.
I`m hearing alot of good benefits from a 3 day water fast for Type 2`s and as anybody done it themselves.
thanks Tony

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I'm tagging @bulkbiker for you Tony, he should be able to answer your question. Coincidentally I'm hoping to complete a 36 hr complete( water) fast this coming week. Good luck

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it would make much difference, to be honest.

It takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for a person to become ketoadapted. The time depends on a lot of different factors, including lifestyle beforehand. That means that even if you crash into fat burning by a water fast or a fat fast, or just go low carb, it still takes weeks for your body to learn how to switch fuels efficiently and be comfortable in ketosis.

You may deplete your glycogen reserves quickly, but it doesn't mean that your body had learned to get the best out of fat as a fuel. That takes time.

During the transition is when you are likely to experience the symptoms of 'low carb flu'. some of the symptoms are easily dealt with - more water, minerals, etc. Others are just inevitable - brain not as focused, tiredness, etc.

My experience is that carb flu is easier the fewer carbs you were eating beforehand, and it gets easier the more times you go through it.

I think it is also fair to say that fasting is easier if you are in ketosis before you do it.

But you can try it and see. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it safe for a Type 2 diabetic into a 3 day water fast to enter keto quicker,without doing the 2 week induction switch over thing.
I`m hearing alot of good benefits from a 3 day water fast for Type 2`s and as anybody done it themselves.
thanks Tony
Hi Tony
Personally I didn't really try fasting until I had cut down drastically on carb consumption. Once you become more fat adapted fasting becomes much less arduous. Then you are more likely to succeed.
Are you taking any medication? If so then you talk to your doc about stopping taking them while fasting or reducing dosage significantly.
I also haven't done a water only fast I always have tea and coffee when fasting with maybe some consommé to get some salt in me which is helpful. Also I wouldn't want caffeine withdrawal symptoms too while fasting! The most I have done is 5 consecutive days. When fasting I have had my best blood sugar levels so I do think it works well to reduce your levels.
If I can help in any other way let me know and also maybe take a look at the fasting section here..
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/fasting.78/

muckinfunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Tony
Personally I didn't really try fasting until I had cut down drastically on carb consumption. Once you become more fat adapted fasting becomes much less arduous. Then you are more likely to succeed.
Are you taking any medication? If so then you talk to your doc about stopping taking them while fasting or reducing dosage significantly.
I also haven't done a water only fast I always have tea and coffee when fasting with maybe some consommé to get some salt in me which is helpful. Also I wouldn't want caffeine withdrawal symptoms too while fasting! The most I have done is 5 consecutive days. When fasting I have had my best blood sugar levels so I do think it works well to reduce your levels.
If I can help in any other way let me know and also maybe take a look at the fasting section here..
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/fasting.78/
Hello I`m on 2 x 750 Metformin and 2 x 80mg of gliclazide and TBH i`v had 1/2 days were i`v not had meds due to me ordering late and never had any problems....from what i read on the net it sounds safe for a type 2 not sure if i`m to drop the meds though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I`m on 2 x 750 Metformin and 2 x 80mg of gliclazide and TBH i`v had 1/2 days were i`v not had meds due to me ordering late and never had any problems....from what i read on the net it sounds safe for a type 2 not sure if i`m to drop the meds though.
That's why you need to check with your doc. I'm not on any medication so can't hypo I have no idea about Gliclazide.