3 Month HbA1c results

dewbod1975

Hi all...so I was diagnosed as T2 about 4 months ago (feb 16th) with a HbA1c reading of 86. I’ve just had the results of my 3 month blood test back and my HbA1c is now 45.

I know that’s good but no one at the docs could actually tell me what that means or what my ongoing treatment should be. I didn’t see a doctor and the receptionists had no clue. The test result just says ‘IFCC Standardised’ and ‘good control of diabetes’ but that’s it.

I’m going to book a follow up app with my doc but in the meantime, does anyone know what this reading actually means? I’m going to carry on as I have been i.e. manage with diet and metformin until someone tells me otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: Prem51 and Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations, you are now in the mid Pre Diabetes range and if you carry on you are likely to hit non Diabetic numbers next time. In short, you're a winner!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I’m going to book a follow up app with my doc but in the meantime, does anyone know what this reading actually means? I’m going to carry on as I have been i.e. manage with diet and metformin until someone tells me otherwise.

Well done. I think you should ask your GP why they have been so casual in presenting you with your first HbA1c result since diagnosis via the receptionist who obviously is not in a position to say anything about it at all.

dewbod1975

Thanks both. Speaking to the surgery, it seems that I just carry on as normal i.e. diet, exercise and metformin. And I’m on a ‘plan’ which means I get contacted automatically at different intervals for different things...blood tests, eye tests etc. Not ideal but this seems to be the NHS plan for my treatment

Reactions: 1spuds

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@dewbod1975 Well done that's a great HbA1c reduction in just 4 months.
In UK non-diabetic is below 42 ifcc, pre-diabetic is 42-47 ifcc, and diabetic is 48 ifcc and above.
So you have reduced your blood glucose levels from the diabetic range to pre-diabetic. Keep on doing whatever you are doing and hopefully you may be down to non-diabetic levels by your next HbA1c test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is a brilliant reduction in your HbA1c in 3 months. Whatever you are doing is working, so carry on as you are. Being "on the plan" means you are on the diabetic care pathway according to the guidelines. You should be invited to see a nurse to discuss these results. The guidelines state a review should be undertaken at least 6 monthly, although most of us were on 3 monthly reviews initially, then moved to 6 monthly once we were stable with appropriate medication or no medication.

You will be contacted about a retinal screening eye test, but there are waiting lists for these.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your numbers are similar to my own - you could well be in the normal range at 6 months - but do not be surprised if you get no acknowledgement of your success - I think my doctor is sulking, but he did go on about me being a very bad diabetic.

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's definitely a big reduction in a short time, and a great achievement - you've got yourself down now to pre-diabetic levels. Just give yourself a pat on the back and keep on doing what you've been doing diet-wise so far - you'll be fine and may well see further reductions in your glucose levels.

Robbity

Reactions: Prem51

NannaD

Hi all...so I was diagnosed as T2 about 4 months ago (feb 16th) with a HbA1c reading of 86. I’ve just had the results of my 3 month blood test back and my HbA1c is now 45.

I know that’s good but no one at the docs could actually tell me what that means or what my ongoing treatment should be. I didn’t see a doctor and the receptionists had no clue. The test result just says ‘IFCC Standardised’ and ‘good control of diabetes’ but that’s it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Wow, well done. I was diagnosed in April this year with a HbA1c of 61 and I am hoping that my next blood test is down like yours. I've been following a low carb way of eating (don't like the word diet) and I make a point of walking at least 3+ miles a day. I refuse point blank to ask the receptionist for any results that I need, it's either a telephone appt with the Dr. or a face to face appt. Once again, well done on your results x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dewbod1975 Your numbers mean you are managing brilliantly.
@Bluetit1802 dream on. I had about 4 appointments in a week at diagnosis, since then an annual review (13 month) and two retinopathy checks 14 months apart, still waiting for the third.

It would help us respond appropriately if you would complete your profile settings to show the type of diabetes you have, your medication, and treatment. Otherwise we have no idea where you are coming from.

I was advising the OP what the NICE guidelines are and the type 2 diabetes care pathway. I am sorry if your surgery hasn't been following the guidelines correctly. I was not dreaming these up! https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations

dewbod1975

Thanks all for the feedback and updates.

I was surprised with the result to be honest. Although I did make some significant dietary changes in terms of sugar reduction, I didn’t expect it to be so drastic.

It gives me loads of confidence going forward that I can keep on top of this and stay healthy.

I’ve noticed loads of other benefits as well. I just feel loads better. My skin feels better, I don’t feel tired, I sleep better and my energy levels have increased massively. It was daunting at first but I’m pleased I was diagnosed as it’s given me a new lease of life and better control over diet and lifestyle

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How frustrating for you. Look on the web and download an HbA1c chart/s. That will give you a clearer picture. You are doing well. You have it under control and should just carry on the way you are. It is a lifelong illness and keeping it under control is your aim.
My reading was 90 when I was diagnosed in July 2017. September 2017 it was down to 51. March 2018 it was down to 41. March 2019 it was down to 39. It is now steady on 39. I am still taking Metformin twice a day. I test my blood with a finger prick if I think I have eaten too many carbs. It helps me to keep control
Keep it up it is worth it