3 months of hard work.

Robertuk

August 3 months ago I got my usual diabetes Hb1ac bloods done and as usual sky high. Between 60-70’s. My depression and anxiety let the comforting voice in my head always win instead of doing something properly to manage my condition.

I’m currently on 1000mg metformin, 25mg alogliptin and 10mg empagliflozin.

Got told if it’s the same In November and February I’d be going on insulin injections. Yeah noooo I can’t do that.

Was told Normal ranges are between 20 -42

3 months of gym training, weight loss, diet change (still had some naughty foods as treats)
I got my recent blood results back and I’m now 39 and in the normal levels.

Feeling so much better and feel my mental health is in a better place with the increased activity from training again.

Doctors next week to discuss dropping my medication and pretty sure I’ll still need to be on something for at least next year to see if it’s the lifestyle change or wether it’s the tablets.

if anyone’s been in a similar position I would love to hear from you and what to expect.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Congratulations @Robertuk I agree, very impressive results
It seems pretty clear to me that your success is down to the changes you have made.
Let's face it, before you gave your head a wobble and made the necessary changes, you were on a upward spiral of increasing numbers and medication.

Reactions: Shirley64 and mo53

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That surely is a lesson to many, many people, that diet, lifestyle and attitude can turn things round.

Well done Robert.
Keep at it.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robertuk wow!! Well done! Tremendous! You really have achieved a great deal. You asked if anyone had been in a similar position. After taking 1000mg Metformin and taking on a low carb diet and additional exercise I dramatically reduced my Hbac1 result. The Doctor suggested I came off the Metformin, which I did. Unfortunately this led to me taking my eye off the ball and succumbing to carb creep and then abandonment. After having two high HbaC1 results I’m back on the Metformin but also the low carb diet and after my latest test on Monday I got a ‘well done! Great improvement’ text from the diabetic nurse. I think for me the Metformin makes me remember to stick to the low carb diet.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Well done Robertuk. The longer you maintain your new approach to food and exercise the more habitual and easier it will become. Keep up the good work!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done, keep up the good work and look forward to staying well :)

Robertuk

Thanks guys for all the kinds words. This is the first I’ve been able to get on. The scare was being told I may need to take injections and I’m not really a fan of needles so I had to get my head right. I do feel my depression and anxiety fed into each other which then would exhaust me and result in comfort eating followed by guilt and despair.

I’ve trained since I was 16 I’m now 37 but for the last 4-5 years I fell away from it due to a lack of love I suppose. I feel being back at the gym has gave me a massive mental wellness boost and has helped me maintain my eating habits due to the small goals being achieved each week. Hopefully I can keep going on this trend and it’s refreshing to hear people that have done it but also fell off the wagon so to speak. Thanks again guys.

D

Deleted member 489048

I was recently put on metformin 500mg x1 tablet at teatime. It was okay. No drastic chaos accept regular bottom burps! LOL! Then dosage up to 2 tablets (extended release) 1000mg a day and CHAOS! So changed myself back to 1 tablet per day. Anyone else suffer 'CHAOS' as result of dosage going up to two tablets a day?

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was recently put on metformin 500mg x1 tablet at teatime. It was okay. No drastic chaos accept regular bottom burps! LOL! Then dosage up to 2 tablets (extended release) 1000mg a day and CHAOS! So changed myself back to 1 tablet per day. Anyone else suffer 'CHAOS' as result of dosage going up to two tablets a day?
Yes, I was able to cope with one tablet of ordinary metformin but at three my body rebelled. I spoke to my doctor who changed my prescription to Metformin MR twice a day. I seem better able to cope with this formulation though it still "makes its presence felt" occasionally. Interestingly, I typically get these worse effects if I have a meal higher in carbs than normal (relatively, I eat less than 30g carbs each day, even when I have a "high" carb meal).