3 week doc appointment

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I was diagnosed type 2 3 weeks ago. My fasting levels have gone from 12, to around 6.3 each morning and I have lost 10lb in weight. I'm hoping to get the accu chek sticks prescribed as they are a fortune. What are the chances?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
So, I was diagnosed type 2 3 weeks ago. My fasting levels have gone from 12, to around 6.3 each morning and I have lost 10lb in weight. I'm hoping to get the accu chek sticks prescribed as they are a fortune. What are the chances?
Well done with your efforts! Not many T2s seem able to get the test strips on prescription. Worth a try though. If you can't get them, many of us use the SD Codefree meter, available here:
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

... because they have the cheapest test strips on the market, and you may need a lot initially. There is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 boxes, which brings the price down to about £5 for 50 strips.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 boxes, which brings the price down to about £5 for 50 strips.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Can I ask, what expiry dates do you get on the strips if you order 500 ?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Can I ask, what expiry dates do you get on the strips if you order 500 ?
Sorry, I don't know. But you could order 250 and have a look when they arrive. If I received strips with only a month or two left on them, I'd send them back. Even if you buy one box at a time, I think they are still cheaper than the likes of Accu-check strips.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
The last batch of 500 that I ordered came with an expiry date of November 2016 so there's no chance that they'll expire before I use them.

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have to have eyes and feet tested with type 2? My doctor didn't say anything except come for a blood test in 8 weeks. He was very pleased with my progress though.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you have to have eyes and feet tested with type 2? My doctor didn't say anything except come for a blood test in 8 weeks. He was very pleased with my progress though.
Yes. My feet get checked by my doctor annually, and my eyes get checked every 2 years. For some people it is annual. Your GP should organise your eye tests and other services you need.

It's a good idea to check your own feet regularly, looking for any broken skin, redness or dryness.