3 Year License Renewal Worries

jonsteele

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 30+ years, and have never had a hypo that needed outside help until a few weeks ago. It ended up with paramedics being involved. I’d had alcohol, and I’m pretty sure it’s why I missed the warning signs. I’ve always been hypo aware, and still am - it just seems a one off.

I’m now worried I won’t get my licence renewed! I drive for a living, so will be in serious trouble if not.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 30+ years, and have never had a hypo that needed outside help until a few weeks ago. It ended up with paramedics being involved. I’d had alcohol,
Driving for a living and drinking alcohol do not go together, here it is zero alcohol in the blood when tested.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting article here
Diabetes and your driving licence | DVLA laws | Diabetes UK

Looks like ordinary Group 1 drivers are OK as long as they weren't at the wheel when it happened and it's only once in a year. If you're Group 2 you may be in trouble.

In your position, I'd be thinking very carefully about methods to stop it happening again, because if it does within the next 12 months you'll lose your license for 3 months. I've had a few such episodes in the past, usually when I've kept my blood sugars unusually low (for me) for a while (eg T1 pregnancies). I ended up with a slightly higher hba1c target which seemed to fix the issue. Now I self fund a cgm which gives me much more confidence.

Good luck. Hypos are scary.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been a type 1 diabetic for 30+ years, and have never had a hypo that needed outside help until a few weeks ago. It ended up with paramedics being involved. I’d had alcohol, and I’m pretty sure it’s why I missed the warning signs. I’ve always been hypo aware, and still am - it just seems a one off.

I’m now worried I won’t get my licence renewed! I drive for a living, so will be in serious trouble if not.

Hi,

Stuff happens booze can mask a low.

If it's any consolation, I had a simalar worry a while back, but with the eyes? (All clear now.)
Driving is part of my job too.
What I normally do, is when I see my doc I mention "licence renewal coming up" then ask, "am I all good?"
Lol, if feel I would be forewarned if they professionally assessed it was time to advertise in Autotrader..

Best wishes.. I'm confident you'll keep motoring.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
As you are on a 3 year renewal that means you only drive a car/small van... I think you can get away with 1 serious hypo so long as you were not driving... but in the future you need to be careful about drink and testing more as another and your license will be suspended... you get it back though

Group 2 (1 year license) you'd lose your license and may never get it back

So whether working or not.... more care needed as a mistake in your personal life can affect your job

If you know your going to drink you could adjust your dose of insulin for that period.. so long as your not on tresiba.. or take a little less rapid with the meal before so you have a slightly higher bg to start with

Davycroc

Is low sugar an Hypo they're asking on the D1AB1 form 1.4 have you ever had an episode o low blood sugar whilst awake, yes or no, none, one, two or more.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Is low sugar an Hypo they're asking on the D1AB1 form 1.4 have you ever had an episode o low blood sugar whilst awake, yes or no, none, one, two or more.

Clinically, a hypoglycemic event is recognised as being below 4mmol/mol. If you're T1 then this probably happens occasionally and (personally, I think) it would be strange to write 'none' on the form. But of course I cannot tell you what to write. They may contact your doctor if you're having a lot of hypo's.

What DVLA is mainly interested in, is whether you were able to sort yourself out or whether you needed assistance from another person. This is a later question.

Reactions: lindaburner

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi- what medication are you on?

Davycroc

Clinically, a hypoglycemic event is recognised as being below 4mmol/mol. If you're T1 then this probably happens occasionally and (personally, I think) it would be strange to write 'none' on the form. But of course I cannot tell you what to write. They may contact your doctor if you're having a lot of hypo's.

What DVLA is mainly interested in, is whether you were able to sort yourself out or whether you needed assistance from another person. This is a later question.

Davycroc

Hi thanks for your reply I ticked the box which says 2 or more low blood sugars and iv never required help I want to be honest but I'm told it's not always the best policy

Just hope I keep my one years license

Last edited: