3 year restricted driving license

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm sure I read that the new guidelines wouldn't come into effect until April this year if they are passed, so unfortunately you've missed out Artemis, although I am surprised that you didn't get a 3 year licence.

Hmmm... I assumed the standard was 2 years... Is it normally 3 then...? Wonder why mine was made 2? Is it maybe a Wales thing...?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hmmm... I assumed the standard was 2 years... Is it normally 3 then...? Wonder why mine was made 2? Is it maybe a Wales thing...?

I doubt very much its a Wales thing, the DVLA won't discriminate which part of the UK you live :)

Not sure of the answer really, unless its because you are new to insulin, I renewed mine last year and got a 3 year licence.

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just sent my ordinary licence back, been told I will get a 3yr one

Human nature is funny isn't it, I already had Grp A (motorcycles) by the time I took my car test and back in the day you were automatically given Grps B,C and D. Now they will take away Grps C and D and I resent it even though I've never used them and probably never would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How very, very odd!! I didn't think anything of it being two years; I just assumed this was the norm... Now I feel like why I am 'special' :D :-/ :D

Like you said @noblehead, maybe it's just cos it's my first time of informing them: maybe after I've a 'track record' of being ok it will be increased to 3...? Curious...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is my first time as well. Might be worth a phone call to question this.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive never had a problem getting or renewing. though the 3 year thing is really inconvenient

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Like you said @noblehead, maybe it's just cos it's my first time of informing them: maybe after I've a 'track record' of being ok it will be increased to 3...? Curious...

I've no idea Artemis why they issued you with a 2 year licence, as you say, all being well you should get a 3 year one next time once you have proven that you can manage your diabetes, if it's something you feel strongly about give them a ring and ask why they only issued you with a 2 year licence, although the DVLA do under under a lot of criticism on this and other diabetes forums I've always found them OK when ringing them up and speaking with them.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The dvla should be able to look this up on their ststem as they should have logged a reason why it was decided to be a 2year licence.

I too have found them very helpful.

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks peeps... I'm just curious now, more than anything else... So I'll give them a call and see :)

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How very, very odd!! I didn't think anything of it being two years; I just assumed this was the norm... Now I feel like why I am 'special' :D :-/ :D

I was given a 3yr license immediately, and there was zero track record of managing my BG. I also think that unless I volunteered my license there is no way they would have rescinded my original license.

Sounds like you're special :)

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
I too was given a 3 year licence as son as I told them that I was diabetic, perhaps it depends on who deals with your case?

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sent my ordinary licence back, been told I will get a 3yr one

Human nature is funny isn't it, I already had Grp A (motorcycles) by the time I took my car test and back in the day you were automatically given Grps B,C and D. Now they will take away Grps C and D and I resent it even though I've never used them and probably never would have.

You'll need to check your license, when you get it, as they occasionally forget to put your bike license on it......though as a biker I'm sure you knew that anyway. ;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You'll need to check your license, when you get it, as they occasionally forget to put your bike license on it......though as a biker I'm sure you knew that anyway. ;)
Yes, I remember the story on Watchdog about the Police motorcyclist who had to take his test again.

shorty17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just sending my 3year renewal tomorrow. Do I just need the completed forms and my current licence? Do I need to enclose a photograph?

Thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think the photos last 10 years... And a hefty fine possible if you don't send a new one then. Otherwise they ask for your old driving licence back and just send out a new one from the photo on file

Worth checking when your photo runs out.. And if in next 3 years to send a new photo anyway.