30g Protein/meal

ghost_whistler

I wad talking with someone who knows their stuff who was helping me with keto last night. They made the interesting claim, advocated by a guy called Dr. Layman (interesting name), that each meal shouldn't greatly exceed 30g as the excess, at that sitting, is wasted, Has anyone else heard such a claim?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I wad talking with someone who knows their stuff who was helping me with keto last night. They made the interesting claim, advocated by a guy called Dr. Layman (interesting name), that each meal shouldn't greatly exceed 30g as the excess, at that sitting, is wasted, Has anyone else heard such a claim?

Hi. I couldn't access your link, but I will try to find a way. I am very interested in this, because it's long been one of my concerns about meals and daily amounts. I did ask Diet Doctor about this and was told it is the aggregate for the day, but I'm not so sure that's the way the digestion works. I would have thought that if you overload on carbs or protein in one meal, that would have a bad effect.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, I have heard of similar claims, including the Fung link that @Chook gave.
The body constantly breaks down and recycles protein, so the new stuff we need to take in is a lot less than our bodies use on a daily basis.

Also worth bearing in mind that when people talk about g of protein, they are usually talking about protein weight, not meat weight.

So while a chicken breast weighs 150g of meat, a lot of that is water and a few other things. The actual weight of protein in that breast is approx 36g.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Ron Rosedale and the Rosedale diet was the first to introduce me to this theory. And it's hold very true for me. I need to keep my protein low to moderate or bs rises. He also talks about anything more than 3 oz per meal (3 oz/21g) will open the mTor pathway which is the pathway to disease. I eat 1 thin slice org deli turkey ( 5 g) and avocado bf, lunch is 12g/ 1.5 oz and dinner is 2-2.5 oz / 15-18 g. I do loads of bulk cooking as it's difficult to find a 1.5-2 oz chicken breast. Haha. So I bulk cook and freeze in my portions in baggies. Then I always have loads of options for protein as well.
Chicken, turkey, salmon, rare beef and lamb, shrimp etc all freeze well. Then I have canned salmon and tuna as well as hard boiled eggs always available.
I use the formula of .8 g per kilogram of IDEAL ( no fat included ) body weight. I'm 55kg so 55 x .8 = 44 G protein. I eat about 35-40 in animal / fish divided into three meals and about 10g of plant protein like avocado, Effie's and nuts. This formula keeps my bs very steady.

Most people way over eat the amount of food actually required. To each his own....

ghost_whistler

Yes, I have heard of similar claims, including the Fung link that @Chook gave.
The body constantly breaks down and recycles protein, so the new stuff we need to take in is a lot less than our bodies use on a daily basis.

Also worth bearing in mind that when people talk about g of protein, they are usually talking about protein weight, not meat weight.

So while a chicken breast weighs 150g of meat, a lot of that is water and a few other things. The actual weight of protein in that breast is approx 36g.
Do you have accurate measurements for meat? A lot of what i buy comes from the butcher and it's really ahrd to know how much of what it can contain. I cooked and cut up 80g of chicken from a legbone to have in my packed lunch today and I had a venison burger (aren't i posh!) from the butcher. No idea what's inside!

ghost_whistler

Dr Ron Rosedale and the Rosedale diet was the first to introduce me to this theory. And it's hold very true for me. I need to keep my protein low to moderate or bs rises. He also talks about anything more than 3 oz per meal (3 oz/21g) will open the mTor pathway which is the pathway to disease. I eat 1 thin slice org deli turkey ( 5 g) and avocado bf, lunch is 12g/ 1.5 oz and dinner is 2-2.5 oz / 15-18 g. I do loads of bulk cooking as it's difficult to find a 1.5-2 oz chicken breast. Haha. So I bulk cook and freeze in my portions in baggies. Then I always have loads of options for protein as well.
Chicken, turkey, salmon, rare beef and lamb, shrimp etc all freeze well. Then I have canned salmon and tuna as well as hard boiled eggs always available.
I use the formula of .8 g per kilogram of IDEAL ( no fat included ) body weight. I'm 55kg so 55 x .8 = 44 G protein. I eat about 35-40 in animal / fish divided into three meals and about 10g of plant protein like avocado, Effie's and nuts. This formula keeps my bs very steady.

Most people way over eat the amount of food actually required. To each his own....
That's probably true. I usually enjoy a big old chicken leg for dinner, which probably is loaded in protein.

But if i don't feel full, i get hungry again quickly. Even on LCHF i find i'm still getting the odd hunger pang, more so late afternoon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have accurate measurements for meat? A lot of what i buy comes from the butcher and it's really ahrd to know how much of what it can contain. I cooked and cut up 80g of chicken from a legbone to have in my packed lunch today and I had a venison burger (aren't i posh!) from the butcher. No idea what's inside!

I get all my nutritional info by going to the Tescos website (i shop there).
Just pick your supermarket of choice and type in 'chicken breast', click on an entry, and you will find the nutritional info.
Once you have a general number for chicken breast, you just need to know what size breast your butcher gave you.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use www.calorieking.com but I know most BT heart now. Average is 7 g per ounce. Lean poultry is 8-8.5 , lean beef and lamb is 8, fish is about 7g per oz, shrimp is 6-7. Dark poultry or fattier meats are less and leaner are more. I do still weigh my protein as it's very easy to over eat.

I used to live hungry until I discovered the magic of avocado. I eat some with every meal and I'm never hungry. If I am a couple pecans does the trick. All that hearty fat and fiber in avocado slows everything down. Great for bs too!!! A whole one a day keeps me perfectly satisfied. One third each meal and the bigger the better. Olive oil does nothing for hunger, butter either. Even not mayo so finery fat is my key to satisfaction.

It's all about finding your perfect fuel. I need protein but it's not as satisfying. Carbs make me hungry. Even above ground veg. If I go over 20c per day I will be ravenous.

ghost_whistler

I get all my nutritional info by going to the Tescos website (i shop there).
Just pick your supermarket of choice and type in 'chicken breast', click on an entry, and you will find the nutritional info.
Once you have a general number for chicken breast, you just need to know what size breast your butcher gave you.
I've been doing that, but I'm not sure it's 100% given that what tesco sells probably has slightly less integrity. I suppose it's as near as dammit.

ghost_whistler

I use www.calorieking.com but I know most BT heart now. Average is 7 g per ounce. Lean poultry is 8-8.5 , lean beef and lamb is 8, fish is about 7g per oz, shrimp is 6-7. Dark poultry or fattier meats are less and leaner are more. I do still weigh my protein as it's very easy to over eat.

I used to live hungry until I discovered the magic of avocado. I eat some with every meal and I'm never hungry. If I am a couple pecans does the trick. All that hearty fat and fiber in avocado slows everything down. Great for bs too!!! A whole one a day keeps me perfectly satisfied. One third each meal and the bigger the better. Olive oil does nothing for hunger, butter either. Even not mayo so finery fat is my key to satisfaction.

It's all about finding your perfect fuel. I need protein but it's not as satisfying. Carbs make me hungry. Even above ground veg. If I go over 20c per day I will be ravenous.
avocado is nice, i have it for breakfast. In fact today's breakfast was enormous, having topped it up to 30g protein - and an enomrous avocado with a lot of fat. Oh dear!

Unfortunately though avocado is also not cheap. Like most nice foods

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

ghost_whistler

Maybe you need to up the fat a bit.. avocado or some nuts?
Quite possibly. Brazil nuts are nice and fatty, but eating too much daily isn't good in other ways.

I'd happily eat more avocado but i can't afford to buy more. It's really expensive for some reason.

They can sell bananas a bag of 5 for 80p, from halfway round the world, but avocados from spain? no chance!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my goodness. Bananas would leave me ravenous in 25 minutes !! Especially at bf. Nuts would be much better. Carbs bf messes up my entire day

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know, macadamias are the nut with the highest fat content - and no problem with watching amounts like there is with Brazil nuts.

I've heard another talk by Dr Layman quite a while back on the Jimmy Moore show. He doesn't follow the usual guidelines of so many grams per kilogram of body weight - 30g being the ideal amount per meal.

Here's the other talk if you want to listen to it:
http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/2012/08/24-all-things-protein-protein-101-dr-donald-layman/

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
avocado is nice, i have it for breakfast. In fact today's breakfast was enormous, having topped it up to 30g protein - and an enomrous avocado with a lot of fat. Oh dear!

Unfortunately though avocado is also not cheap. Like most nice foods
I get 4 avocados at a time from asda for £3 ... Not cheap, but not bad.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Must get to tescos!! actually its not a lot compared with the volumes I used to eat in takeaways..