34w update & questions :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi... I apologise now for my ramblings lol...

Had my weekly appointment today and they booked in my 36w scan in a fortnight's time, there was talk that id have the scan at 35w as she was a little on the big side at 32w scan but they have said she's not excessively big, I'm on the top line on the graph thingy not over it.. If anyone knows what I mean I can't remember what it's called lol consultant said once I've had it and go in to see him we will arrange when I'm going in for my induction... Everything now seems VERYYYYY real!! As if the constant sickness, baby bouncing around inside of me and me waddling like a large duck didn't make it feel real already lol
Obviously if anything happens/changes between now n then the plan will change..

Does anyone else get what I mean when I say it just suddenly hits you like *BAM* there will be a baby here soon?!

Everyone keeps saying I appear really calm but I feel anxious, I don't really say anything about it to anyone cos it's all to do with the diabetes stuff related to birth n I just don't think they will get it..
I've kinda told myself it's pretty likely I'll end up having a section, and that my baby will be like a small toddler (my grandad was a stone when he was born and that was nothing to do with diabetes ) and that she probably won't be with me for at least the first night as she's possibly going to be in neonatal, not to scare myself, but I'd rather think to myself how likely that is to happen than block it out and have to deal with it when it happens? And obviously if one or none of them things happen it's just a massive bonus... Does that make any sense?! Lol

Hope all the babies & pregnant mama's are doing well, would love to hear updates from everyone :)

Abbie xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha @mahola I am terrified of small babies cos of them being so tiny so I will be better with a bigger baby... Just hoping for under a stone though, my family are really loving reminding me of how much my grandad weighed lol xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just my best wishes @Mrsass

all the best !!

Finley02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey!

I'm not at the 34 week mark I'm at the 20 week mark and it still doesn't feel real!! One minute I feel really pregnant then another day I question if I am! Not only do I worry about every little rash I get or every little niggley pain I get... Then the diabetes just triples ur worrys!!!

But!....... I'm sure you will be fine... You will be in the right place, I have in my mind at the moment I'll be having a c section.... I worry that if I go for natural labour that something will go wrong and I get rushed in... Least if I have a planned one I know exactly what's going to happen! Wahhh sorry it's all very scary, exciting and overwhelming it's hard not to over think lol ! Xxx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Mrsass as all my 3 were born at 35w yes they just appeared! I didn't prepare myself the first time with my daughter and she went into neonatal I was traumatised for ages after (I was ill though too with PE). My twins it was worse as my baby boy seriously ill and had to have surgery after being resuscitated and got taken to another hospital. Even though it was a lot worse I'm so thankful he pulled through after being given terrible odds. My 2yr old was diagnosed t1 a few weeks after the twins were born. I had sections both times. Anyway I feel like it was really hard but you just have to go with whatever is best for you and your baby. Don't stress too much as you just don't know until the time comes. Just try prepare yourself for baby poss needing some extra help and you have to make sure you are okay too-I was permanently low both times. Sleep deprivation and hypos aren't great. Try to rest as much as you can now as you won't know what's hit you (unless you have a good sleeper! I've had 1 terrible, 1 normal and 1 good!) xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mrsass You mean the centile chart thingy, right? ;) Baby brain does that to you - don't worry : D

I get the worry about having a section and neo natal care. I think diabetes - having a condition you have to think about - makes your mind dwell on possible problems, whereas you probably wouldn't do that so much if you didn't already have that in your mind all the time. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Remember - diabetic or not - your body was designed to do this :) However your birth turns out you will cope with it because we're women and that's what we do :)

My babies varied in size, but the easiest one to give birth to was the largest. I thought that was a weird fluke but my midwife said often larger babies are easier to push out (to put it bluntly : D ) I think there's some truth in that.

Don't worry - think about all the possibilities, but hold them there as just possibilities.

I think mentally preparing for the birth is really important. And never underestimate the sudden change in BS after birth. The sudden lows can be mad so pack lots of hypo treatments and snacks.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aww @Mrsass its all becoming real because you are so close now! I think we spend so much time thinking about blood sugars and keeping baby and ourselves as well as can be that it kind of creeps up on you. I worried about having a section but you just have to take everything as it comes (that's how I approached it anyway) because you can't really plan for it, baby decides lol. I had my lo naturally and as @azure says our bodies were designed for this, diabetes or not! I was (and am) so proud that I managed pregnancy and birth with diabetes and you should and will be too once your lo is here! It's an exciting time, enjoy your last few pregnant weeks x

jade88

Hi Mrsass,
Know exactly what you mean I prepared myself for the worst and then was pleasantly surprised when my labour went quickly and smoothly! He did have to go to neonatal the first night but had prepared myself for this so wasn't as upsetting because I knew why he was going there. Try not to worry too much as the stress won't do you or baby any good!
The other thing to remember is things can be difficult even in low risk pregnancies- at least we have a heads up about the complications which can occur! Sounds like your doing brilliant! Just try and rest baby will be here before you know it then it will be very real! xxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the replies everyone :)

I've went through stages of thinking wow this is going so slow but now I'm nearly there & looking back I'm like wow it's flown by!

@azure funnily enough my sister told me bigger babies are easier after having a 7lb & nearly 10lb she said that and I thought she was fibbing but since then a few other people have said it too.. And yep, I was talking about that centile thingy

she was estimated to be around 4lb 9 at the 32w scan so nervous for what she's grown to as people have taken great pleasure in telling me she will at least double lol

@Kateyo you're right I've spent all these months just obsessing over bgs and not really thought about the end result much

@1Sarah1 it's making me at ease that I know the neonatal team in my hospital are fab as my cousin's baby went there when she was born as she was extremely early :) I do hope I get a good sleeper lol

@Finley02 I definitely feel very pregnant every day now lol for ages I didn't think my bump was all that big but suddenly in the last few weeks I've grew a lot! Lol

Xxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mrsass,
Know exactly what you mean I prepared myself for the worst and then was pleasantly surprised when my labour went quickly and smoothly! He did have to go to neonatal the first night but had prepared myself for this so wasn't as upsetting because I knew why he was going there. Try not to worry too much as the stress won't do you or baby any good!
The other thing to remember is things can be difficult even in low risk pregnancies- at least we have a heads up about the complications which can occur! Sounds like your doing brilliant! Just try and rest baby will be here before you know it then it will be very real! xxx

Thanks @jade88 I thought trying to mentally prepare was the best thing to do :) I really would love a natural birth though xxx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't believe you don't have long left! How exciting! my little boy weighed 5lb 6oz at 32 weeks. They let me go to 38 weeks and he was born 11lb 1oz, planned c section!! X section didn't really bother me, it's not the worst thing in the world.

When he was born his blood sugar was very low so he went to special care. I had been completely prepared for this, and they brought me round to see him on my was back from theatre. The special care nurses and doctors were amazing. On the contrary a diabetic I know has just had a baby and he managed to stay out of special care (just) but they closely monitored him.

It's so exciting! x x x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sarahkylie88 isn't it crazy how much they grow in the last few weeks! I think it's just the thought of the recovery from the c section xxx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It wasn't too bad really, it was the not driving that got to me the most! But my little boy was in special care for 2 weeks and I was allowed to stay for most of that time so it was only 4 weeks at home that I couldn't drive for. It'll be more frustrating if that has to happen this time as my little boy is at school. I wasn't in too much pain after, nothing that the pain killers didn't sort! It's an option and if they say u need it (fingers crossed they won't) it's not as bad as u think. And whichever way they come out you will have a beautiful baba at the end of it x

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mrsass I know exactly what you mean - I saw the consultant last week and he said they would probably induce me at 38 (standard for diabetics at my hospital), and it hit me that's only 2 months away... They will actually be here soon. I didn't want to get too excited early on because things can go wrong, but the time has really flown. My baby is also up on the 90th percent line but it's there for everything - head, legs, tummy - so it looks like I was always going to have big babies regardless of diabetes, just genetics! Still terrifying though!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ArtemisBow yes it hits you hard doesn't it yeah she's on the 90th line for everything so I think that's maybe better than being there just for 1 thing? Can't believe a week has passed already so now only 1 week till I find out when I'll be getting induced

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was worried when the sonographer said it was big - she started asking about my BG levels, but when I saw the consultant he wasn't worried at all - because it's still within the normal range, and as you say all the measurements were in line. He said he would be worried if just the tummy was big, or if over time it suddenly shot up i.e. I had started at the 50% mark and then jumped to 90 out of nowhere.

I'm hoping with having a big baby there's less chance of me breaking it :) I'm so clumsy it's just a matter of time before the poor thing gets dropped on it's head!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lmao last year my cousin had to have her baby at 30w due to pre eclampsia and she weighed 2lb 14 I was terrified to hold her with her being so tiny and I'm generally one of them people if someone gives me a baby to hold I'm like what do I do? How do I hold it? I think I'll drop it! So I totally get where you're coming from!! Lol so yes having a 'small toddler' as I keep saying I will, is possibly safer for me hahaha