36 years with diabetes

lauralou!

Insulinman said:
33 years with diabetes

"COR" I thought I must have written this (But not the Babys) as I am Male?
Don't feel very well at the moment?
I was on Levemir which is the same as your's A ROSE BY ANOTHER NAME!!! WRONG
A. it puts on weight? (did me)
B. it CAN make you very ill? (did me)
C. it is Human Insulin Mucked about with?
ie: GM we try not eat the FOOD so why must we INJECT the stuff?

As a "FACT" a good Chemist said:
"You should NOT use New ANALOGUE Insulins after using ANIMAL INSULINS???? "
I can agree with this after being very very Ill because of Analogues LEVEMIR & NOVORAPID
It seems its OK for new Diabetics "BUT" not Old-uns like us?
Another "FACT" they seem to also mess with ACTRAPID? don't know why?
I am back on BOVINE and seem to be a bit better?

Hope this Helps I'ts NOT all us!

Glad you haven't managed to give burth yet. But if you do can I be on campaign commitee, HA HA. Was put on HUMAN INSULIN many years ago and had HELLISH SIDE EFFECTS, but was told that this was the next wonder drug 2 years ago. NOWONDER DRUG. NOT for me NEED to be back on Actrapid and Insulatard.

lauralou!

hanadr said:
I have persuaded my husband to reduce his carbs and his insulin, since when we've not had hypos to cope with. We did have a few before. One where he fell onto the bedroom vanity unit and demolished it and the neighbouring ironing board.One where I stopped him going headfirst down the stairs, looking for the lucozade. ( he won't take aglucotab! and although I'd given him the lucozade bottle to take up earlier that day, he had left it in the kitchen) and one where he fell into the bath tub and got stuck. I had a dreadful job getting him out.

I dislocated my shoulder this time last year, because I thought I could get to the kitchen to get hypostop and missed my tv unit in bedroom by milimetres. Fell on right shoulder and blooded my eye. 4 months of physio and dark glasses did me ok. Hope your hubby manages to get under control. What is he taking now?

lauralou!

janabelle said:
Hi, I've been type-1 almost 20 years, and after a 4 years of hell on Lantus, I changed to Pork insulin. I suffered joint pains, severe exhaustion, anxiety, and countless other side-effects while on Lantus. It didn't control my blood sugars either although I thought it did at first. I was yo-yo-ing all over the place, and my consultant even told me it was ok for my BS to rise to 15 every day-that's the state of diabetes care in this country now! The proof of the pudding, to quote the old cliche, is in the eating. If you change to real insulin ie; purified animal insuin, and have improved control and your side-effects disappear, as mine did- then you know what the cause it. Lantus is poison, and should be taken off the market in my view. After 4 years on the stuff, and the misery it caused me, I now worry about the long-term effects.
It is worth remembering that there is no evidence that these new "analogue insulins" are any more effective in diabetes control or management than animal insulin. Yet they are pushed at us left, right and centre. People might think it's great having the flexibility, but I still have that, and the best control I've never had in nearly 20 years on synthetic insulin. Pork insulin is the closest to natural human insulin, and it should be being offered as a treatment option to newly diagnosed patients-IT IS NOT, why??
Why also are doctors reluctant to change patients' insulin when they are having problems?
If a doc thinks your HBA1c is acceptable then he says you're ok- but a good HBA1c result can be achieved despite huge daily fluctuations in blood sugar-how reliable is this test? It also provides another reason for your doc to ignore your concerns, maybe I've hit the nail on the head.
Totsy, I remember you having big probs that you thought were related to Lantus last summer, surprised to read your recent posts.
For anyone having probs on any synthetic insulin it's wll worth you contacting the IDDT- a great source of HONEST information.
Jus

Hi Its Lauralou

Us old school Diabetics who had to wait 20 mins after injecting should be able to eat!!!!!

Flexibility is worthless if you feel to fat to move. Must admit Totsy seamed to contradict him/herself in the few messages I read. Come on straight from the heart please.

Will contact you again soon.x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I am inspired by people who are living so well after having diabetes for so long. Initially I only heard the horror stories and it is really pleasant to hear from those who have managed for a long time. I look after my 2 year old son and at first I thought it was a death sentence. He also has Down syndrome so I could still be faced with many obstacles but at least the complications of diabetes may not be one of them.

Jen.