1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

38 hours in...so far so good

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Roggg, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Roggg

Roggg · Well-Known Member

38 hours into my fast which was intended to be 36-48 hours depending on how I feel. Right now it feels good. I'm not hungry at all, and the headache I had yesterday has gone away. Need to watch my fluids and electrolytes.

I've done fasts of this size a few times, and I know it gets pretty hard for me around 42 hours in (between lunch and dinner on day 2) so having achieved the main benefits already, I don't usually feel compelled to push. I am curious as to what a fast spanning two full days plus feels like, and also what it looks like on the meter.

FWIW, I see major benefits whenever I do 36+ hour fasts. For me, my BG readings are very good during my fast, but I also see a drop in m BG numbers for days afterwards. I hate to use the word "cleanse" as it's trendy and mostly nonsense in most cases, but it seems like running on body stores for a day or two does accomplish something of the sort.

I recently got a ketone meter, and will take a reading before I break my fast. Test strips are expensive though so I'm not testing as much as I'd like.

Anyway, just sharing my experience. Have a great day everyone.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

It's normally thought that around the 42-48 hour mark is the hardest part and after that it gets easier again. I'll admit when I have done 7 day fasts this is exactly what happened to me.

3. Roggg

Thanks BB...that's helpful. I'm around 41.5 hours and I can confirm I am indeed hungry. Not helped by the fact that my wife is working and I just finished feeding the kids. I've resolved to get to 48 hours then consider another 12 hours to make 60.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hopefully it will get easier for you too.

5. Roggg

It did actually and I made 48 hours without too much distress. Decided to end it there for this time, and probably aim for 60 next time.

• Winner Winner x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook