3yr old type 1 starting nursery

Layah2013

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my 3 yr old type 1 is going to be starting nursery in december, was just looking for advice from anyone else whos child is starting soon or already started, im worrying already before shes even started, none of her teachers have had any experience with diabetes, they will be getting training from dsn but im still worried about leaving her, and also is very shy and i worry if she will go to the teacher if she feels unwell, any advice please

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Layah2013 Ask your nursery to draw up a care plan for her. The DSN could give advice about this maybe. I'd also recommend that you and they consider having something on display to,all staff identifying your daughter and giving information about what a hypo might look like and what to do if they notice your daughter looks like she may be having one.

I think a care plan and awareness for all staff there are the most important things.

Will she have a nominated member of staff to help her with things like blood tests or diabetes care?

Would you be able to accompany her for the first day or so both for her comfort and your peace of mind. That would also give you a chance to see how the staff cope and for them to see what you do.

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hiya, my daughter was 4 when she was diagnosed and her pre-school had never had any experience with diabetes, I was so worried but I worked really closely with the pre-school who nominated a key person to be in charge of her care although all the carers had training and the diabetes team at our local hospital worked with the pre-school to make sure she was getting all the care she needs, hope that helps xx