4.8 to 3.9 after eating

Porffor

Am new to the site and taking my blood sugar test.

I am on bipolar medication and have diabetes fasting tests, however not had one for some time. And given the current situation in the world, I thought I'd take my own bloods to check all OK.

Today is first day. Waking / fasted was 4.8

After a bowl of cereal, semi milk and a cuppa tea with 1 sugar.
2 hours reading 3.9

How often should I test?

I was expecting a rise. However reading a bit. A few things are making me wonder.

I had in my teens been passing out if I hadn't eaten. For instance if I had slept in late and not eaten breakfast and at lunchtime time.

Well it was something I had identified if I didn't eat at the point of the shakes and irritability. I would get buzzing in ears, vision disturbance (like and untuned TV) and passing out. This was something I managed, except in pregnancy when it would be more of a problem.

Anyway. I want to lose weight and address the sugar issues I have at the moment. I'm vegetarian which poses its own issues. Meat makes me feel sick so it's not an ethical switch. I can eat fish if need be.

Should I speak to my gp in a few days if bloods are consistent in dropping? They have never done a test after eating. Just fasted.

Thanks for any insight you can offer

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Porffor

I think that one reading after a high carb breakfast is a bit too early to draw any conclusions. So as you suggest, a bit of further testing, combined with a food diary, looks like the way to go.
A reading of 3.9 is no cause for alarm, unless the patient is on a medication that causes hypos, such as insulin or gliclazide.
Many non diabetics see readings in the highish 3s throughout the day.

My suggestion would be to test before eating, then 2 hours later, and then at any time you feel symptoms.
Combined with a food diary (don't forget the portion size/amount of carbs) will help to quickly build up a picture of what is happening, and show you where to make adjustments to your food intake.

Hope it all goes well, and please come back and let us know how you get on? :)

Reactions: EllieM

Porffor

Hi @Porffor

I think that one reading after a high carb breakfast is a bit too early to draw any conclusions. So as you suggest, a bit of further testing, combined with a food diary, looks like the way to go.
A reading of 3.9 is no cause for alarm, unless the patient is on a medication that causes hypos, such as insulin or gliclazide.

My suggestion would be to test before eating, then 2 hours later, and then at any time you feel symptoms.
Combined with a food diary (don't forget the portion size/amount of carbs) will help to quickly build up a picture of what is happening, and show you where to make adjustments to your food intake.

Thank you. I Hadn't thought about the food diary.

I'll keep logging and diary.

And do some more reading.

Porffor

Hi @Porffor

Its down to 2.9 now at the 4 hours. So definitely need to log.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Its down to 2.9 now at the 4 hours. So definitely need to log.

Hi and welcome to our forum.
Before I start getting down to why you are posting in the RH forum, I would like to know if you are alright after that hypo reading of 2.9?
A couple of questions.
What meds are you on, that you mentioned in the other thread?
Have you been diagnosed as T2 or RH?
What symptoms are you getting?

It's important to understand why you are getting hypoglycaemic episodes and if you are getting them regularly, you definitely need to see your GP.

Last question, if you are T2, why are eating cereals?

Keep safe

Best wishes

Porffor

Thanks am keeping a food diary and will up my protein and lower sugar and carbs, as have had to Change a few things due to food availability and self isolation.

Really appreciate the advice and support. Will come back and update.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks am keeping a food diary and will up my protein and lower sugar and carbs, as have had to Change a few things due to food availability and self isolation.

Really appreciate the advice and support. Will come back and update.

Can you say which meds you are on and what diagnosis you have had please?