4 hours post meal reading

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I measured the above reading for my dad on two occasions. Once 4 hrs after breakfast and another 4 hours after lunch. Both readings is same at 6.5.

He is a prediabetic. And he is now eating low gi meal with a around 40g carb load of per meal.

My questions are:
1) Is 6.5 after 4 hours a good reading?

2 )Anyone knows if his reading can get lower after another 2 hours (i.e.after 6 hours post meal).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

What were the readings before he ate? This is important to know before we can answer your question, and what were the full contents of both meals? That is also important to know.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1) yes
2) it can, but does it matter? 6.5!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

What were the readings before he ate? This is important to know before we can answer your question, and what were the full contents of both meals? That is also important to know.

No it doesn't.
Even if it's a rise of just 2, that means 4.5 before.

If he was 6, he's risen by 0.5
Cracking result.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes it does ! Totally relevant to the overall picture

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What’s the reading two hours after the first bite? The carbohydrate in the meal could have been mostly dealt with after four hours.

D

Deleted member 308541

My questions are:
1) Is 6.5 after 4 hours a good reading?

2 )Anyone knows if his reading can get lower after another 2 hours (i.e.after 6 hours post meal).
Try testing after two hours that is the standard time most T2's use.

After four to six hours I am thinking testing for lunch time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Several posts have been deleted from this thread for derailing and picking an argument.

Thank you to everyone who has posted in the supportive spirit of this forum, with the intention of constructively helping millenium with their query.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for all the replies within such a short time.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,

6.5 will be the reading before he ate again. I will do a two hours post eating reading after lunch today for him. After breakfast reading will be less indicative as he will do a 30min exercise session shortly after breakfast.

Reactions: LooperCat

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What’s the reading two hours after the first bite? The carbohydrate in the meal could have been mostly dealt with after four hours.

The reason why i am doing a four hours post eating reading is to know his bg level before he eats again.

His fasting readings are 6.6 - 7 previously when he was on atorvastatin. This statin is known to increase bg readings. He has since dropped statin as his cholesterol level is normal now.

I will be doing a new fasting reading on him tomorrow as i suspect he has dawn phenomenon. This is the reason, i am asking about how his bg level will fluctuate after four hours as i do not know how it behave when he is asleep and not eating at night for 8-12hours.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason why i am doing a four hours post eating reading is to know his bg level before he eats again.

His fasting readings are 6.6 - 7 previously when he was on atorvastatin. This statin is known to increase bg readings. He has since dropped statin as his cholesterol level is normal now.

I will be doing a new fasting reading on him tomorrow as i suspect he has dawn phenomenon. This is the reason, i am asking about how his bg level will fluctuate after four hours as i do not know how it behave when he is asleep and not eating at night for 8-12hours.

To get anything meaningful with testing, you need to test him immediately before he eats and 2 hours after his first bite. You need to be consistent if you are to learn anything. The thing to look for is the actual rise from before eating to the 2 hour mark. This needs to be well under 2mmol/l. If it is more than that there are too many carbs in that meal for his body to cope with. If he can get that right, any dawn phenomenon will begin to improve - but it does take time. It can take months and months.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Millenium, so glad to see you taking an interest and active role in your father's care and that he seems to be positive about it too. Hooray for him for getting off his statins - that is a major achievement!! Bluetit is right about the timing of the testing. The 4 hour testing would be ok if he is sitting down to consume his meal at the four hour mark, if that is what you are inferring with the four hour testing.

It takes a while to get this all figured out and you are doing a good job, so be patient! The morning fasting is the last to get consistently lower it seems, and as Bluetit says, it can take months for that to happen. So I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are finding his other testings are all in good range. The only other thing I would say, though, if he is having higher morning reads, try to avoid carbs in the morning meal and wait til later in the day for them. The reason being if he already has lots of glucose circulating due the liver dumping, then by eating more carbs in the breakfast you are just going to get higher readings later on....you are just adding more fuel to the fire so to speak! Keep up the good work!Blessings/L

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To get anything meaningful with testing, you need to test him immediately before he eats and 2 hours after his first bite. You need to be consistent if you are to learn anything. The thing to look for is the actual rise from before eating to the 2 hour mark. This needs to be well under 2mmol/l. If it is more than that there are too many carbs in that meal for his body to cope with. If he can get that right, any dawn phenomenon will begin to improve - but it does take time. It can take months and months.

I just tested him about 9Omins after his low GI breakfast and after he brisk walk for 3Omins. The reading is 7.3. Pretty good reading.

His breakfast contains 35OmL full cream milk mix with 1Og psyllium powder and 15g flaxseed powder, 6Og black grapes, 1OOg payaya.