4 months in

andyspencerg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in October with HbA1c with 1 result of 70. I only had one test and nurse wanted to put me on metformin. I resisted when she told me it may cause stomach upsets. I have had colitis for many years and did not want to upset that. I have changed diet to reduce carbs but not cut them out. Cut out all added sugar and now only brown rice and occasionally pasta. Just had 2nd hba1c with result of 41. Do you think I should do more or is 41 ok

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andy and welcome!
Well done on getting your HbA1c down to 41. 41 is just in the non diabetic range so you have cut your risk of complications significantly. It’s up to you really if you want to reduce it further I suppose. My last two tests have been in the thirties and that’s where I’d like to keep it. My reason is that it gives me wriggle room, for instance I had a rough December, chest infection, steroid shot in one foot and surgery on the other, all of which raised my blood sugars. My sugars are back down to my November averages again, so I’m hoping I may still squeeze under 40.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
These figures look pretty good. They do a slow release Metformin to reduce side effects for Gastro probs.

andyspencerg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These figures look pretty good. They do a slow release Metformin to reduce side effects for Gastro probs.
They did offer the slow release ones and I even had them dispensed but did not take them
I went to a diabetic clinic for newly diagnosed diabetics and many were complaining about the side effects.

andyspencerg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andy and welcome!
Well done on getting your HbA1c down to 41. 41 is just in the non diabetic range so you have cut your risk of complications significantly. It’s up to you really if you want to reduce it further I suppose. My last two tests have been in the thirties and that’s where I’d like to keep it. My reason is that it gives me wriggle room, for instance I had a rough December, chest infection, steroid shot in one foot and surgery on the other, all of which raised my blood sugars. My sugars are back down to my November averages again, so I’m hoping I may still squeeze under 40.
I do feel I can improve more with some effort especially with more exercise. I do not really know what a healthy level for HbA1c is I just know 41 is just below threshold of being diabetic

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By measuring glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), clinicians are able to get an overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over a period of weeks/months. For people with diabetes this is important as the higher the HbA1c, the greater the risk of developing diabetes-related complications.