Type 2 4 weeks on meds, advice re review with doc

phil16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed t2d 4 weeks ago and have been on 4 gliclazide 800 and 2 metformin 500 per day. I was off the scale on diagnosis and have a review today with doctor.
My fasting bgs are still between 13 - 19, lower than previous but still very high. I have been more concious re carbs etc.
I'd just like to know what to expect re meds. Are they not working? Should they have made more effect by now? Could this still come down? Any advice?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Tagging @daisy1 for an info pack for you.

A change in diet would have a much more beneficial affect. I suggest that you lower the amount of carbohydrates in your diet. Not only the obvious ones like biscuits, cakes and pies etc. Have a read around the forum for dietary ideas.
How often are you taking readings and when? If you could tell us what you eat in a typical day we may have ideas on how you can makes changes.
Welcome btw.

phil16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tagging @daisy1 for an info pack for you.

A change in diet would have a much more beneficial affect. I suggest that you lower the amount of carbohydrates in your diet. Not only the obvious ones like biscuits, cakes and pies etc. Have a read around the forum for dietary ideas.
How often are you taking readings and when? If you could tell us what you eat in a typical day we may have ideas on how you can makes changes.
Welcome btw.

Thanks for your response. Readings taken first thing am pre breakfast. I am keeping a food diary so can give you a typical day -

1 Oatibix with lactose free milk and blueberries and black coffee
homemade veg soup
chicken breast, small baked potato and veg
occasionally oatibix for supper if hungry

maybe 2 glasses of wine in the week, never add sugar to anything, low salt, low fat, don't have a sweet tooth so not guilty of biscuits, cakes etc normally.
I would have expected my levels to drop more than they are and hoping this doesn't mean the meds aren't working and more drastic measures need to be taken.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Are you only testing in the mornings, or do you test before and after eating? Morning levels are often the last to come down and can be very stubborn, although yours are still too high. It may be worthwhile to stop these morning tests for now to avoid stress and concentrate on testing before and 2 hours after food to see if your food choices are good ones. (the rise from before to after should be under 2mmol/l and preferably less) The reading immediately before dinner is usually the lowest of the day and may give you a better idea.

Good luck with your GP review. Let us know what he has to say.

Reactions: flexi06

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The oatibix will be high carb as will the baked potato. Try to substitute these. There are lots of ideas for meals in the Food and Nutrition section of the forum. There is a low carb 'porridge' that @Rachox uses, I am sure she would give you the recipe. The Dietdoctor website has many recipes and meal plans, too.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Are you snacking between meals?

The oatibix and potato are definitely something you should bin, high in carbs...... dont feed the monster :)

phil16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all responses everyone, you've given me food for thought! Doc only wanted me to do fasting tests but I'll try before and after dinner for my own needs to see what they are.
Oatibix I'd thought was an okay choice of carbs?? I always had a cereal breakfast and changed to this as it is filling and seemed to be the best option as it's only oats. Likewise with small baked potato. I don't snack between but with little or no carbs I'm sure I'll want/need to!
I'll head over to the Dietdoctor and see what's what there.
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@phil16 It's the carbs that cause your blood sugars to go up. Your body simply can't handle them at the moment.
Your body doesn't know or care if they are oats or bread or potatoes it just doesn't want any more carbs because they all turn into sugar once you have eaten them.
Try some eggs and bacon for breakfast. Green veg along with your meat. Also you need to make sure you are having enough fat as that is what fills you up and keeps you feeling sated for longer. Chicken thighs over breast.. a nice juicy fatty steak with some butter on it.

Reactions: UserABC2021

phil16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@phil16 It's the carbs that cause your blood sugars to go up. Your body simply can't handle them at the moment.
Your body doesn't know or care if they are oats or bread or potatoes it just doesn't want any more carbs because they all turn into sugar once you have eaten them.
Try some eggs and bacon for breakfast. Green veg along with your meat. Also you need to make sure you are having enough fat as that is what fills you up and keeps you feeling sated for longer. Chicken thighs over breast.. a nice juicy fatty steak with some butter on it.
Right, I see what you're getting at. If drastic measures in diet needed rather than meds I'm all for that. Thanks for the diet tips.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, I see what you're getting at. If drastic measures in diet needed rather than meds I'm all for that. Thanks for the diet tips.
Just be very careful as the meds you are on, gliclazide, can cause your blood sugars to go too low when you cut out carbs. I presume you have a blood glucose monitor? If not (and your GP should have given you one with those meds) then you need one before drastically changing your diet.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The oatibix will be high carb as will the baked potato. Try to substitute these. There are lots of ideas for meals in the Food and Nutrition section of the forum. There is a low carb 'porridge' that @Rachox uses, I am sure she would give you the recipe. The Dietdoctor website has many recipes and meal plans, too.
Phil, here’s the recipe for the low carb coconut ‘porridge’. I have a portion everyday for breakfast with strawberries and cream. Nice and warm and filling :hungry:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

phil16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be very careful as the meds you are on, gliclazide, can cause your blood sugars to go too low when you cut out carbs. I presume you have a blood glucose monitor? If not (and your GP should have given you one with those meds) then you need one before drastically changing your diet.
Yes I have a bg moniter and she did warn me about hypos but I've never gone below 13 fasting. I will try and cut out the carbs but will monitor more closely to see results. Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have a bg moniter and she did warn me about hypos but I've never gone below 13 fasting. I will try and cut out the carbs but will monitor more closely to see results. Thanks

I would also test before bed in case you are going too low, and certainly before driving or operating machinery. Once you are in the swing of things and you see low numbers regularly throughout the day you need to speak to your nurse as your meds may need reducing.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At these high numbers it will take some time to "clean up" the body from excess glucose. Just monitor the BG before the meals and two hours after. I predict that you will go to "normal" area (3,9-7,7) within 14 days - after that you have to be very careful and monitor between meals (each hour) to not go under 3,9. If you will be under 5,6 between meals, I think it would be the time to stop gliclazide to be sure you cannot go hypo - consult that with your doc with the numbers in your hands.
Be brave, be strong, and don't let the carbs to ruin your life :)

Last edited:

phil16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick update. Saw doc and gave her the figures which show not a great change. I am coming off Gliclazide gradually over 2 weeks and starting Metformin 750 slow release x 2 daily as from today. Bloods to be done this week.
Spoke to her re low carbs so hope both these changes bring results.
I also tested before dinner tonight and 2 hrs later. 1st test was much lower than fasting test and 2nd was only 2 points higher than 1st which is good news for my diet.
I've learned a lot today and feel more positive and in control. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Quick update. Saw doc and gave her the figures which show not a great change. I am coming off Gliclazide gradually over 2 weeks and starting Metformin 750 slow release x 2 daily as from today. Bloods to be done this week.
I also tested before dinner tonight and 2 hrs later. 1st test was much lower than fasting test and 2nd was only 2 points higher than 1st which is good news for my diet.

Great start.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often

Good on ya Phil. It should be pointed out that drugs like metformin only moderate the liver from releasing stored glucose. They in no way can compensate for what goes in your guts. There's great advice here re carbs. If you are overweight, lose it. It really makes a difference.

Glenn

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am coming off Gliclazide gradually over 2 weeks and starting Metformin 750 slow release x 2 daily as from today. Bloods to be done this week.

Great. Without gliclazide you cannot go hypo. You can “clean up” your body - try (if you are strong) to remove carbs completely for 14 days from your diet. Than experiment with small amounts of carbs to see how your body react - eat to your glucometer :)

A lot of people here pray for metformin as “anti aging, anti cancer, anti xxx” meds. I am conservative and dont want any chemic in my body. So no meds for me - just no carbs and excercise. But you have to define your targets and tools to get there...

On twitter I have read a great analogy: you have diabetes so you have allergy to carbs - think like that and you will get the results.