42 Days To Restore The Reversal

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, today I had less than 700 cals, with brunch of scambled egg, mushroom and one slice of bacon. Evening meal roast veg.
It was the mention of @bulkbiker 's bacon and egg VLCD that gave me the idea.

The pig avatar is to remind me to reward myself with bacon and egg at least once a week.
Only condition is that I don't have a 2 hour post prandial BG reading of more than 6.5. Will review that figure and move downwards next week.

Reactions: Ojustaboo

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Pipp am cheering for you to get those numbers down....it will come as it has before:) Love the avatar!! Although the little spinning dog (?) was really sweet! Mind you, maple flavored bacon is pretty "sweet" too - smoked with maple wood of course!! Blessings/L

Reactions: Prem51 and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @Pipp am cheering for you to get those numbers down....it will come as it has before:) Love the avatar!! Although the little spinning dog (?) was really sweet! Mind you, maple flavored bacon is pretty "sweet" too - smoked with maple wood of course!! Blessings/L
Thank you. I get bacon from farm shop, most of the time. Always check as sometimes sugar is used in the curing.

Wpepsi63

Today, with heavy heart, I am removing my 'reversed diabetes' banner. I have, for 7 years, been proud of the non-diabetes levels, but yesterday got the news that my latest HbA1c was 52. The nurse was very kind and gentle about it. "That is excellent control", she declared. Yerr what! Not for me it isn't. I really appreciate her not wanting to upset me, but sometimes we need a bit of a jolt.

I wasn't surprised, really. I have several medical conditions, and depending on the severity of symptoms, each takes it turn in being the one needing most effort to control. This last few months the need to breathe has been the priority, and I have needed several courses of steroid meds just so I could. I have seen blood glucose levels rise from average of under 6 to double figures, the highest being 18. I also gained 5 kg, and felt quite lethargic and sleepy.

I like a challenge, but this is a biggy! I did the May fast with several others on here, and that kick started some weight loss. I had been feeling like a Michelin man or Marshmallow man before that, with much water retention, and very swollen ankles. I lost 3kg with that, and a further 7kg since using VLCD. I have visible ankle bones again.

Not all gloom and doom. Nurse agreed that the steroids are the most likely cause, so I am to repeat the HbA1c in 6 weeks. I so want to return to 'reversed' status. That is my intention. Continuing a few more weeks with VLCD, keeping low carb, and of course I have a few more weapons in the armoury. Intermittent fasting, LCHF, one meal a day, 5:2, etc. I have accepted offer of Metformin. (I have never had the problems some report, when I have used it in the past) . I have been exercising but will increase that. Just need to avoid picking up a cold, or having anything trigger asthma, as that starts the downward spiral again and as much as they are a lifesaver, I can do without having steroid meds again.

Aiming for previously below prediabetes levels that I have held for 7 years. Realistically, having had T2 for almost 14 years, with no apparent complications, I will take anything below 48 when I have next test.
Wishing you luck in your endeavour... I am sure you can do it! you seem to have a positive attitude despite the slightly unpleasant news. We are all routing for you.. 42 ... is q quick turn around so aim for as close as you can't to 48 without being miserable... then keep going till you hit target even if it takes little longer. I am very impressed with a 7 year reversal. Im only at year 2 so hope to follow in your successful footsteps. Take care, and let us know how you are getting on.

xx Wendy

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand how the title of this article relates to what is written...?
Reversal?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you doing @Pipp ?
Thanks for asking, @zand.
35 days to HbA1c. The addition of Metformin has had the opposite effect on my digestion that most people report. Sorry if this is TMI, but that has caused some discomfort. I have cut down the meal replacements, and have yogurt for brunch to try to restore a healthy gut biome. Still averaging 800 calories a day, but varying a bit with 700 some days and 900 others. Still have higher fasting BG than I would like, with 7s and 8s, but today was 6.9. Have not been able to exercise, as I have a bit of a cold and allergies are kicking off. Wheezing and itchy eyes. Doped up on antihistamine, trying to avoid the need for more steroid meds, which will start the whole cycle again. At least the antihistamines make me sleepy, so I have slept through meal times some days. Good for fasting. Just plodding on, and avoiding the bathroom scales.

Reactions: zand

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't understand how the title of this article relates to what is written...?
Reversal?
Hello @Gork
For me 'reversal' refers to the lowering of blood glucose levels to below diabetes range. I have managed that for seven years, after following the Newcastle diet, and maintaining with low carb diet. This worked very well until recently. I am working at restoring previous non -diabetes blood glucose levels again.

Reactions: zand

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember it well. Genius!
It is another method I am saving in my back pocket, because I confess the meal replacements were much easier to accept when they were replacing pasta, rice, and spuds when I did it the first time round. Since low carbing not so easy. Alas, my digestive system is not able to cope with cream very well. Bacon, egg, and mushroom would be preferable.
Though as I seem to have a winning formula at the moment, as long as I avoid steroid meds, I will continue to complete 8 weeks mainly with the replacements, supplemented with veg and some butter or coconut oil, for now, then review.

Drooling at thought of bacon, though.
Bacon, eggs and mushrooms now you are talking my language now @Pipp :hungry: You will soon be back on track, we are all with you.:happy:

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @Terrytiddy .
Just noticed the stats in your signature. Very impressive!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With this heat gym membership may be the best option for exercise, however with your asthma swimming may be a good option.

Remember the 8 week blood suger diet book has lots of meal plans that give you about 800 calls a day with real food.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pipp

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pip bit late to this but just wanted to add me to the list wishing you well. Its people like you with control over so many years despite other health issues that really inspire. None of us know when we will need steroids in the future and will be fighting the same battle. So all the very best, I have no doubt you will get there. X

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With this heat gym membership may be the best option for exercise, however with your asthma swimming may be a good option.

Remember the 8 week blood suger diet book has lots of meal plans that give you about 800 calls a day with real food.
Thanks @ringi. I have, for a long time been a swimmer, and have bored many a member here trying to encourage others to take up water exercise. I fit in at least 4x1 hour sessions of aquafit with as much swimming as allowed before being chucked out when the lifeguards want to go home. It is a great form of exercise, as I am not very mobile out of the water, though that had improved. Unfortunately, the asthma causes difficulty if I try to push myself to much. I have to get out of the water if my lungs start squeaking. The pool staff are very good, and will rush and fetch my inhaler if I start to wheeze. So far, they haven't had to jump in and rescue me. Have missed it this week as I have a virus, been having nosebleeds.

The gym is more recent. Been going once a week for about a year. I neve thought I would ever show my face at one of those 'torture chambers'. I go to a special session with adapted equipment with adjustable resistance on the machines. The sessions are for older people (age 50+) who have health problems or impairments. Many of the people there are old enough to be my parents, and the way they race around the gym puts me to shame. I am much, much slower. The best bit is that most of the gym equipment is adapted so that you exercise whilst seated. The very best is the powerplate machine that does all the work for you, as you sit next to it with feet on it. Passive exercise. I aim for cardio exercise in swimming pool, and strength exercise in gym. Aware that as I get older muscle loss can be a problem, as can balance without core strength.

Reactions: Prem51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@pip bit late to this but just wanted to add me to the list wishing you well. Its people like you with control over so many years despite other health issues that really inspire. None of us know when we will need steroids in the future and will be fighting the same battle. So all the very best, I have no doubt you will get there. X
Thank you, @PenguinMum and @Goonergal .
I am quite overwhelmed by the kindness and good wishes.
Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The support from members is phenomenal.

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I have completely missed this thread having been on another planet for a few weeks. I know what you have been through health wise and those pesky steroids, so am sure this is the only reason for your increased HbA1c but you do seem to be back on track and I really wish you well. I had no idea you had metamorphosed into a gym bunny though! Keep up the good work and you will soon be back to the reversed status. Sending you hugs. x

Reactions: ickihun

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I have completely missed this thread having been on another planet for a few weeks. I know what you have been through health wise and those pesky steroids, so am sure this is the only reason for your increased HbA1c but you do seem to be back on track and I really wish you well. I had no idea you had metamorphosed into a gym bunny though! Keep up the good work and you will soon be back to the reversed status. Sending you hugs. x
Agree, I had no idea about Gym Bunny Pipp either. Very impressed, in awe of you and what you can do @Pipp :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree, I had no idea about Gym Bunny Pipp either. Very impressed, in awe of you and what you can do @Pipp :)
Gym bunny! Hahahaha!
Though I have come a long way from the Pipp who was housebound and stuck in a chair several years ago. So, if the lowering of BG doesn't work it won't be for the want of trying. If I need to have further meds to control, so be it. What I do know is that having had seven years non-diabetes levels, and fourteen years free of complications, I have done as much as I can.
Though I won't stop trying to do more.

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a newbie here. Appreciate your sharing this. I, too, have a couple other medical issues which may cause additional problems. In the past I was on steroids for breathing, but haven't needed them for a while - doubt I would have thought that they could impact my Bg, without having read your post. I am still trying to figure out all this stuff - just got diagnosed a couple months ago. You will do well getting back to normal - this seems to be a staunch group - so can't go wrong.

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a newbie here. Appreciate your sharing this. I, too, have a couple other medical issues which may cause additional problems. In the past I was on steroids for breathing, but haven't needed them for a while - doubt I would have thought that they could impact my Bg, without having read your post. I am still trying to figure out all this stuff - just got diagnosed a couple months ago. You will do well getting back to normal - this seems to be a staunch group - so can't go wrong.
Welcome @feniangirl , as this is your first post on the Forum, I’ll tag in @daisy1 who will post a useful info post for you.