5:2 diet and metformin

Megsdad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is there any research into whether there is any conflict between taking metformin and doing an intermittent fasting diet? Should you keep taking medication on your fast days when there isn't any carbs being consumed?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They usually advise metformin is taken with food - kinder on the stomach

And Jason Fung advises that medication requirements are likely to drop when Intermittent Fasting, and to discuss it with your doctor - either before or during, as your blood glucose levels drop.

Lots of Jason Fung's patients come off insulin as a result of IFing, so being able to reduce or cease metformin, over time, is a real possibility.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Megsdad I did a few 24h "Fasts" whilst I was still taking Metformin, with no issues.

The caveat I should add is that I have absolutely NO SIDE EFFECTS when I took the drug, and often either forgot to take it completely, or took my dose without food, or even sometimes 2 tablets together. So it is quite possible I am "the exception that proves the rule" when it comes to metformin.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you are 5:2 fasting are you still eating on your 2 days? If so you could take the met with those meals?
Personally I would miss the out the met if fasting completely (i.e. not eating anything) but then again I ditched it after 3 weeks of being tied to the toilet anyway.