1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

5:2 diet and metformin

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Megsdad, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Megsdad

Megsdad Type 2 · Newbie

Is there any research into whether there is any conflict between taking metformin and doing an intermittent fasting diet? Should you keep taking medication on your fast days when there isn't any carbs being consumed?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

They usually advise metformin is taken with food - kinder on the stomach

And Jason Fung advises that medication requirements are likely to drop when Intermittent Fasting, and to discuss it with your doctor - either before or during, as your blood glucose levels drop.

Lots of Jason Fung's patients come off insulin as a result of IFing, so being able to reduce or cease metformin, over time, is a real possibility.

• Like Like x 2
  3. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Megsdad I did a few 24h "Fasts" whilst I was still taking Metformin, with no issues.

The caveat I should add is that I have absolutely NO SIDE EFFECTS when I took the drug, and often either forgot to take it completely, or took my dose without food, or even sometimes 2 tablets together. So it is quite possible I am "the exception that proves the rule" when it comes to metformin.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

When you say you are 5:2 fasting are you still eating on your 2 days? If so you could take the met with those meals?
    Personally I would miss the out the met if fasting completely (i.e. not eating anything) but then again I ditched it after 3 weeks of being tied to the toilet anyway.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook