5:2 fast diet

LittleWolf

As an ex anorexic (and having been I denial for years about fasting) I have a horrible feeling a diet like this could induce (or very closely reproduces) the habits of someone with or developing an eating disorder.

I mean I think mine is partly the reason my insulin response Is screwed up in the first place and of course my blood tests never showed hyperglycaemia then because I was starving myself.

Don't want to rain on the parade. Just be careful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wynn

Aye, that's true, but intermittent fasting is very different from longer periods of fasting though.

People with a previous history of eating disorder should definitely be extra careful though, no doubt about that.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Wynn, it's a shame this thread is so quiet , I posted on here a while ago now but it's died a death. I'm type 1, since childhood and I've been following the 5:2 diet for & weeks now, successfully. I follow very low carb all the time and on fast days I have 2 meals, breakfast and evening meal and adjust my insulin accordingly, as always . I feel great and have lost a stone, although I was not over weight my weight is now the lower end of my healthy BMI. My BGs are rarely go above 4.5 to 5.5 mmol, low carb really helps with that. I have 500 cals twice a week and 1500 four times a week. I aim to lose 4 lb more then I want to maintain but continue to fast twice a week due to the health benefits. Sorry I haven't answered any of your questions. Christine

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Forgot to say I've lost 14.5 lbs in 8 weeks, and I log all my food on My fitness pal . On fasting days I usually have a large portion of veg such as salad, or cauliflower or whatever together with protein, eggs, chicken or poached salmon for example af sround 6pm and adjust my insulin according to BG result and carb intake. I always have the same breakfast whether I fast or not, which is 500ml of unsweetened soya mild and a huge poto if mocha italian coffee! 1 little carb and 140 cals!!

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hello there

Just posted in a different area before finding this!

I have had the book for months (bought it after watching the Horizon programme) and finally did my 1st fast yesterday. I actually found it quite easy, the only thing that happened was that I hypo'd as I had expected because I had no idea how many units of insulin to cut my night time levemir by.

I'm aiming to do it again tomorrow and should get a better picture of what to expect regarding levels, which were pretty stable all day.

I have around a stone to lose and my current HBA1C is 7.5 so aiming for a 7 next time around!

Picci - may I add you on MFP? I log all my food & exercise on there and its a great motivator :D

janspencer

Hi, I was given an article about the 5:2 diet and decided to give it a try. I find it quite easy to follow on two work days by missing out breakfast, having a piece of fruit for lunch then egg. salmon or steak with salad in the evening. My blood sugar on these days stays very stable and I do not seem to crave food because I know that I can eat normally the next day. I have been doing this since the beginning of July and so far I am delighted to have lost 10lbs. It has been more difficult during the summer holidays but I will be continuing and hope this will become a change for life. :D

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have decided to give this a try. Today is my first fast day. I had two eggs for breakfast. And I am having two of my coffees with unsweetened almond milk. This will leave me with 300kcal for dinner.

So far so good. Trying not to think about food.

I am t2 and I am not sure if I should test at lunch time as I will not be eating.

I use fitness pal as well and would love to have more friends there as support.

if anyone wants to add me let me know :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
claymic said:
Hi
I have decided to give this a try. Today is my first fast day. I had two eggs for breakfast. And I am having two of my coffees with unsweetened almond milk. This will leave me with 300kcal for dinner.

So far so good. Trying not to think about food.

I am t2 and I am not sure if I should test at lunch time as I will not be eating.

I use fitness pal as well and would love to have more friends there as support.

if anyone wants to add me let me know :)

Im sort of doing this as well, although i am also low(ish) carbing. Seems to be working for me and got me offf a weightloss plateau. Im on Myfitnesspal also as Thommothebear

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
Just discovered this thread after posting elsewhere!!

Am Type II on Metformin, Levemir and Novorapid. Diabetic nurse has always told me, if you miss a meal miss the Novorapid dose, so am happy with that for lunchtimes, but am a little concerned about the long acting Levemir.

Can those of you that have suffered night time hypo's confirm if you take your Levemir at night or in the morning - I am wondering if I will have a problem as I take mine just after breakfast time each day and have, touchwood, never had a night time hypo since starting it.

I am on my first fast day - by accident really - am off work today, had a light breakfast of one slice of oatbread toast with margarine (180 cals), started to re-read the book that went with the Horizon programme and gradually as lunchtime came and passed and I wasn't hungry, thought I would give it a whirl and see how my BG's coped.

So far they seem to be fine, no dipping or spiking, and I have an M&S fuller for longer meal in the fridge for dinner at 380 calories - I will be a little over the recommended 500 today, but then it was impromptu!!! I have got through three small bottles of fizzy mineral water and two black coffees but am generally feeling quite energetic and not at all hungry.

Has anyone else on Levemir and Novorapid tried this, and what do you think - are there any pitfalls that I am missing?

thanks
Trulee

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I would bring this topic up to the top of this forum as most people are looking for dieting tips after Christmas.

I have been thinking about trying the 5.2 and have discussed it with my DSN as I am on insulin as well as oral meds and am type 2. I would be interested in hearing how people have got on with this diet especially longer term. I am not sure whether to try eating breakfast and evening meal or whether to go all day and just have an evening meal.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

collectingrocks

I'm no expert but do a variation on the 5:2 diet. I have to plan carefully as I drive a lot and work long hours in the public domain. No two weeks are the same. For example, if I'm out on a day off, I have been able to discipline myself to eat next to nothing bar water and a cuppa coffee. I might have a light no/little carb meal that night and have nothing until lunchtime the next day except for water and a cuppa tea. Lunchtime is the main meal but I don't stuff myself. I might then have a light snack that night and then nothing until lunch the next day. If I have a busy long day ahead, I might have a light breakfast, snack lunch about 2pm and then nothing until breakfast the following morning.

As I say, it depends on the day(s) ahead and the workload. Often I can sense when I'm low BS and wonder if I can "feel" the "switchover" to when glucogan kicks in. I don't know but after a few seconds of feeling a bit weird, I feel revitalised again. Of course, if I'm walking around dangerous places where a risk of a hypo would lead to instant death, then I carry some dark chocolate and a banana which I eat about 30mins before my venture.

Of course we are all different...