5 day fasting experiment

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just recently I had a couple of higher carb meals and as a result by dawn phenonema had gone up. I decided to tackle it with my very first 5 day fast.

I decided I would be strict, water only or black tea , i supplemented with D2 and K3, a coupe of omega 3 capsules per day, and the odd magnesium and potassium tablet when I remembered

I had no real symptoms throughout, no particular cravings, on the 4th night I felt rather hungry but on th 5th morning that had gone away. I carried on working and exercising, either walking 10,000 paces or swimming 50 lengths every day. On the final day I spent an afternoon cooking and by that stage had no desire to even lick the spoon.

I was actually 30 minutes later breaking my fast as I as a bit busy n something else. On that first night, I only ate a small meal and on the second day after so far have only had a small meal, but no hunger.

My guts were fine throughtout, though after breaking the fast, I can feel it taking a while to get my systems starting up again. i've also felt hot since as if my system is in overdrive.

I wear a blood glucose monitor, so I thought you might be interested to see exactly what happens during a fasting period. Unfortunately it fell off jsut before the end of my experiment and I don't currently have access to a new one- so I will have to do it again some time to look at the post fast effect.

here is the five days blood sugar readings from an Abbott Freestyle

Attachments

• 1 14 october 2018 0181020-140247_LibreLink.jpg
    1 14 october 2018 0181020-140247_LibreLink.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 256

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for sticking out a 5 dayer especially with no coffee or cream!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
following days

Attachments

• 5 18 October 2018 LibreLink.jpg
    5 18 October 2018 LibreLink.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 4 17 October 2018 LibreLink.jpg
    4 17 October 2018 LibreLink.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 6 19 Oct 2018 LibreLink.jpg
    6 19 Oct 2018 LibreLink.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 190

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for some reason the second day won't upload. bt the trend is pretty clear from the others !

I think in practise it may be easier without any calories than with a few. Your system just seems to go to sleep. !

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
one moe day to go, sorry abut the poor order !

Attachments

• 3 16 October LibreLink.jpg
    3 16 October LibreLink.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 162

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
full set .. they show the clear benefit and trend when looked at in order.

Attachments

• DAILY_GRAPH_15_October_2018.png
    DAILY_GRAPH_15_October_2018.png
    60 KB · Views: 188

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fascinating, and very well done.

15 and 16oct seem to be missing, or am I reading it wrong.

Edited.... you posted before just before me

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA
Question re the libre.. is it possible to download the actual readings rather than the graph?
Then one could make a longer time period to show effects rather than individual days.. or someone could..

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
A 5 day fast?, Why?

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Hmmm just, to me, it seems comparable with shaving your head because you don't like your haircut.
Each to their own I suppose, just ignore me, it's my prescription talking.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm just, to me, it seems comparable with shaving your head because you don't like your haircut.
Each to their own I suppose, just ignore me, it's my prescription talking.
You never tried fasting?
If, like me, you have had food control issues in the past it can be quite a cathartic experience.. to no longer be a slave to eating.
Liberating in fact.. also helps to get insulin levels down quite quickly as well. Dr Fung sometimes starts people off on a 7 day fast on his IDM programme to get a good kick start before low carbing though that would have been a bit hard-core even for me. I have done a few 7 day fasts but I always have cream in my coffee which may inhibit autophagy.

Reactions: Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA
Question re the libre.. is it possible to download the actual readings rather than the graph?
Then one could make a longer time period to show effects rather than individual days.. or someone could..

@bulkbiker - Not looking to speak for @CherryAA , but yes, you can download all of the background data and I always do. It downloads as a .txt file, which I then convert to .csv, and drop into Excel and work with it from there. Obviously from Excel it's very easy to identify high and lows, without having to make interpretations of a line.

If you log your eating episodes in the Libre, the reading will identify your post-meal peak, and so on. When aligned with recording exogenous insulin timings and dosing, it can be extremely powerful.

Of course, there can be some variances in the data, just as there can be meter readings..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You never tried fasting?
If, like me, you have had food control issues in the past it can be quite a cathartic experience.. to no longer be a slave to eating.
Liberating in fact.. also helps to get insulin levels down quite quickly as well. Dr Fung sometimes starts people off on a 7 day fast on his IDM programme to get a good kick start before low carbing though that would have been a bit hard-core even for me. I have done a few 7 day fasts but I always have cream in my coffee which may inhibit autophagy.

Autophagy is the reason I would love to try fasting (even IF). Would it be fair to say that a minimum 48 hour fast is needed to inititate autophagy?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting @CherryAA especially the thought that no calories are easier than some. Have never managed to get beyond about 36 hours, but have always used cream in tea. Being out exercising also seems to dull the appetite.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Autophagy is the reason I would love to try fasting (even IF). Would it be fair to say that a minimum 48 hour fast is needed to inititate autophagy?
To be honest I think the science of autophagy is so new that nobody really knows. There are those who claim that it starts to work with an overnight fast and others that yes 48 hours is the minimum. I think that most would say to "guarantee" autophagy you need to have only water (or something like black tea) whilst fasting which I will admit is why I have never tried, would miss my coffee with cream too much.

Reactions: Guzzler

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker - Not looking to speak for @CherryAA , but yes, you can download all of the background data and I always do. It downloads as a .txt file, which I then convert to .csv, and drop into Excel and work with it from there. Obviously from Excel it's very easy to identify high and lows, without having to make interpretations of a line.

If you log your eating episodes in the Libre, the reading will identify your post-meal peak, and so on. When aligned with recording exogenous insulin timings and dosing, it can be extremely powerful.

Of course, there can be some variances in the data, just as there can be meter readings..
One of these days I'll have to give it a go.. thanks for the info..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One of these days I'll have to give it a go.. thanks for the info..

I can't understand why you haven't already. They are very illuminating. How else would I have known that a full bladder raises levels? :hilarious: