Type 2 5 months at a time abroad

theshrekster

Hi all,

I'm planning to retire very soon and will spend up to 5 months at a time in Spain.

Will my UK GP prescribe me my medication in 6 monthly blocks rather then the current 3?

My diabetes is stable after having it for about 6 years.

Thanks in advance.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I build up a stock, it's not been an issue with my GP.

Have a word with them, see what they.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm planning to retire very soon and will spend up to 5 months at a time in Spain.

Will my UK GP prescribe me my medication in 6 monthly blocks rather then the current 3?

My diabetes is stable after having it for about 6 years.

Thanks in advance.

I spend protracted periods overseas, in non-EU territories, where no NHS reciprocal arrangements exist, but I don't and never have taken diabetes (or any other) medication, so that hasn't been an issue for me. Where you could find issue is how the NHS views you, in terms of your ongoing entitlement.

There are a number of circumstances under which individuals lose the right to NHS treatment, once they have been outside the UK for 90 days. It can be fairly complicated, depending on the country where you are based, your age and other details.#

When I was planning my first protracted trip, which annoyingly was immediately after my T2 diagnosis. I had a frank discussion with my GP, outlining our plans and asking for his view, and how the practise would view our ongoing entitlement. Thankfully, our plans were very much what my GP would like to do in his retirement (he has since retired, and sort of done it), so he was enthusiastic in his support.

Things are much easier to justify if you continue to have a permanent UK address, and ideally some business interest, and/or family - in other words can justify a tight alignment with living in the UK. If your surgery is creaking under the strain of patient numbers or staffing, you could find them less enthusiastic.

Dr Google provides interesting reading material, if you do a couple of searches, for example:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/plannedtreatment/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx

Clearly, it makes sense to ensure you have an EHIC and other relevant paperwork.

I have also heard of individuals simply ordering their repeat prescriptions online, with a trusted friend or relative collecting the items and arranging for onward transmission, either by post or by visitor visits.

Where there's a will there's a way, but it is good to plan up front.